Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sweet Potato/Yam vs. Regular white potatos

I have gotten various points of view from both a nutritionist and my
GP.
Might there be some practical experience or applications to indicate
that one is better for you than the other ??
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

HorseThief > wrote:
: I have gotten various points of view from both a nutritionist and my
: GP.
: Might there be some practical experience or applications to indicate
: that one is better for you than the other ??

I am no expert, but sweet potato, I believe, has a better GI level wit th
ecarbs being absorbed slower than the white potato. some poeple can eat
them without spkein of they don't add al kinds of sweet stuff to them.
You woudl have to test yourself at 1 and 2 hours after eating the sweet
potato , or the white one to see how it affects you, as we all vary.

I can eat a few small red new potatos without a problem or a part of a
baked potato. I am not fond of sweet potatoes so I hav never tested them.
They are suosed to contain many helthful vitamins , mineral, etc.

Neither is necessary for a healthy diet, so I generally don't eat potato.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Horse Thief,

I find that neither sweet potatoes nor yams bother my BG
anywhere near as much as regular potatoes. With the sweet
potatoes, you can just nuke them, skins are thin, do it just
like a regular baked or boiled potato. The yams, which you
can identify by the pointed ends, have very thick skins. In
the Ozarks, both are called sweet potatoes, but there is a big
difference. Yams are MUCH sweeter, skin much tougher. It
depends on what you want to use them for. The sweet potato
makes a dandy French fry, Some restaurants here serve them,
but yams don't. Yams are great with turkey and ham, I prefer
them as a holiday veggie. I'm sure there are going to be a
bunch of people responding to this, both are good, depends on
what you want to use them for and most people (as the stores
around here) don't know the difference. I noticed 2 days ago
that our local store had both in the same bin. I stocked up
on yams... they usually are much more expensive than sweet
potatoes. If it looks like a regular potato with blunt ends,
it's a sweet potato. If it has pointed ends, it's a yam. Buy
one of each... Split them in half, toss both in the mic,
you'll see there is a big difference.
Cheers, Wizzzer

"HorseThief" > wrote in message
> I have gotten various points of view from both a
> nutritionist and my
> GP.
> Might there be some practical experience or applications to
> indicate
> that one is better for you than the other ??

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"HorseThief" > wrote in message
> I have gotten various points of view from both a nutritionist and my
> GP.
> Might there be some practical experience or applications to indicate
> that one is better for you than the other ??

Depends on what you mean by "better". Nutritionally speaking they are not
the same. Both are loaded with carbs though and you may find you can eat
one but not the other. Or not either one. How is your BG after you eat
them? I can eat potatoes with no problems. I usually eat the Yukon Gold,
or red potatoes, but will sometimes eat the white ones. Sweet potatoes
spike me, but that's fine. I don't much like them anyway.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> I may give sweet potato fries a try; that sounds pretty
> good.
>
> --

They actually make a pretty good FF, but I like zuchini french
fries even better. A gal that cooks at a local bar and grill
was up to her eyeballs in zukes from her garden. Rather than
have them go to waste, she put some thru the french fry
machine, fried them up and put baskets of them on the bar for
free snacks for the customers. The customers loved them!
They are on the menu now and people come from all over to have
the zuke fries at $4 a basket. They actually sell better than
the regular fries. People order them alone as a snack to go
with their beer.

Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wizzzer" > wrote in message
> > I may give sweet potato fries a try; that sounds pretty
> > good.
> >
> > --

> They actually make a pretty good FF, but I like zuchini french
> fries even better. A gal that cooks at a local bar and grill
> was up to her eyeballs in zukes from her garden. Rather than
> have them go to waste, she put some thru the french fry
> machine, fried them up and put baskets of them on the bar for
> free snacks for the customers. The customers loved them!
> They are on the menu now and people come from all over to have
> the zuke fries at $4 a basket. They actually sell better than
> the regular fries. People order them alone as a snack to go
> with their beer.

Interesting. Are they breaded in any way?

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Wizzzer" > wrote in message
>> > I may give sweet potato fries a try; that sounds pretty
>> > good.
>> >
>> > --

>> They actually make a pretty good FF, but I like zuchini
>> french
>> fries even better. A gal that cooks at a local bar and
>> grill
>> was up to her eyeballs in zukes from her garden. Rather
>> than
>> have them go to waste, she put some thru the french fry
>> machine, fried them up and put baskets of them on the bar
>> for
>> free snacks for the customers. The customers loved them!
>> They are on the menu now and people come from all over to
>> have
>> the zuke fries at $4 a basket. They actually sell better
>> than
>> the regular fries. People order them alone as a snack to
>> go
>> with their beer.

> Interesting. Are they breaded in any way?

No Julie, she just runs them thru the french fry cutter and
into the hot oil they go. They have the consistency and even
a similar taste as a french fry, but a heck of a lot better
for a diabetic (or anyone else for that matter). People
realize that, I think that's why they are so popular. And
they taste good, too! Slightly crisp on the outside and soft
on the inside, add a little salt, even good dipped in catsup.
They really are tasty and she serves a big basket full for $4,
more than enough for 2 people. There is always someone trying
to palm off a surplus of zukes, she gives them a good home and
some free zuke fries in return.
Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <Cv0xg.2340$fL3.825@trnddc07>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Wizzzer" > wrote in message
> > > I may give sweet potato fries a try; that sounds pretty
> > > good.
> > >
> > > --

> > They actually make a pretty good FF, but I like zuchini french
> > fries even better. A gal that cooks at a local bar and grill
> > was up to her eyeballs in zukes from her garden. Rather than
> > have them go to waste, she put some thru the french fry
> > machine, fried them up and put baskets of them on the bar for
> > free snacks for the customers. The customers loved them!
> > They are on the menu now and people come from all over to have
> > the zuke fries at $4 a basket. They actually sell better than
> > the regular fries. People order them alone as a snack to go
> > with their beer.

> Interesting. Are they breaded in any way?

The zucchini fries I ate years ago were. Were they ever good, though!
When I was growing up, if we had a crookneck squash that got away from
us (grew too big), we'd slice it crosswise, dip the slices in egg and
then breading, and fry them. Man oh man, were those yummy!

Priscilla, getting hungry

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article <Cv0xg.2340$fL3.825@trnddc07>,

> > > They actually make a pretty good FF, but I like zuchini french
> > > fries even better. A gal that cooks at a local bar and grill
> > > was up to her eyeballs in zukes from her garden. Rather than
> > > have them go to waste, she put some thru the french fry
> > > machine, fried them up and put baskets of them on the bar for
> > > free snacks for the customers. The customers loved them!
> > > They are on the menu now and people come from all over to have
> > > the zuke fries at $4 a basket. They actually sell better than
> > > the regular fries. People order them alone as a snack to go
> > > with their beer.

> > Interesting. Are they breaded in any way?

> The zucchini fries I ate years ago were. Were they ever good, though!
> When I was growing up, if we had a crookneck squash that got away from
> us (grew too big), we'd slice it crosswise, dip the slices in egg and
> then breading, and fry them. Man oh man, were those yummy!
>
> Priscilla, getting hungry
>
> Priscilla

I grew up with them. that was the only way to cook them. Take the
crookneck and slice it lengthwise, flour, and fry. If you were ambitious,
you would flour, egg, breadcrumb and fry.
-ginny