Vox Humana

Default Biga breads - Carol Fields Bread book

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> snip
> > I have followed all instructions diligently with the bigas, leaving them

> > set various days. I have used variously a mixer and a food processor. I
> > think her instructions for the food processor might be out of date

> regarding
> > how cold the starter should be before you put it into the processor, as

> the
> > new food processors do NOT heat up with the new low speed and dough/low
> > settings. Do you use a mixer exclusively or do it by hand (I cannot do

> it
> > by hand because of physical limitations.)?
> > Dee

> Dee,
> The issue is not that the food processor heats up, but rather that the
> mixing/kneading of the dough causes the dough to warm. This occurs with

the
> KitchenAid, commercial mixers and more quickly/dangerously with a food
> processor because the processing time is so quick. Roy Basan can probably
> tell us what happens to the dough chemically with fast mixing and

over-warm
> dough. I do know that we want the final mixed temperature of the dough to
> be (depending upon source) between 75-80F.
> Janet

I use a FP for some small batches of dough. The friction of the blade does
cause the dough to get warm, fast. I agree it isn't caused by heat from the
FP motor. You can start with cold liquid if this is a problem. One way to
mitigate the heating is to add the liquid until the dough consistency if
right and then let the dough rest for about 10 minutes. Then you can turn
the machine back on to knead. I let the dough ball rotate about 50 times,
or about 1 minute. More than that and the dough gets too hot.