Posted to rec.food.cooking
Old Mother Ashby Old Mother Ashby is offline

Default Ox Tails

Dave Smith wrote:
> DWACON wrote:
>

>> They were fall-off-the-bone tender and tasty. Next time, though... I might
>> go ahead and buy a new pressure cooker. Got one of those 20% off coupons
>> from Bed Bath and Beyond... I'm sure they have pressure cookers...
>>

> Save your money. Pressure cookers do not make better stews.

True, but they make quicker stews. I've given up on oxtail since I
discovered ox cheek, but I use the same recipe and there are times when
I want to eat it the day I cook it, for all that braises are improved by
a night in the fridge. Pressure cookers are like every other kitchen
gadget, they're good for what they're good for. With a pressure cooker
you can be doing the stew on the stove top instead of tying the oven up
for three hours at a low temperature; this means you've got the oven
free to cook the pudding.

Christine