Posted to rec.food.sourdough
naschol naschol is offline

Default On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes

Hans Fugal wrote:
> I have a buttermilk pancake recipe that I like, and I am hard to please
> with pancakes. Buttermilk is such a pain, I'd rather use sourdough start
> which I have handy anytime (provided I put it out the night before). I'd
> like to keep the creamy taste, have some of the good sourdough/sour
> taste, and most importantly not end up with rubbery or too fluffy pancakes.

Hans,

I am with you on the fluffiness of pancakes. My Norwegian grandmother
made the best moistest, flatest buttermilk pancakes ever. She never
used a recipe, but I loved them so much that one day I measured all her
ingredients before she used them and then measured them, again, when
she was done. I now have "her" recipe. Of course, now I use kefir
instead of buttermilk.

Anyway, I make the recipe, as is, if I am in the mood for very flat,
very moist pancakes (which is most of the time). This batter is quite
thin and doesn't remind me of standard pancake batter. However, when I
have guests that are not used to this type of pancake, I add a little
extra flour to make it like the standard batter. This makes a
fluffier, but yet very moist pancake. So, what I am getting at after
this long-winded preface is, maybe you just need to add a little more
liquid to your sourdough pancake batter to make it moister and not as
fluffy.

Nancy