Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dave Bell Dave Bell is offline

Default On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes

Hans Fugal wrote:
> I have a buttermilk pancake recipe that I like, and I am hard to please
> with pancakes. Buttermilk is such a pain, I'd rather use sourdough start
> which I have handy anytime (provided I put it out the night before). I'd
> like to keep the creamy taste, have some of the good sourdough/sour
> taste, and most importantly not end up with rubbery or too fluffy pancakes.
>
> I think the rubber effect I so often observe when I try to make
> sourdough pancakes is due to the gluten formed in the start, so I think
> one needs to use some start and some fresh flour to offset this.

OK, after reading your exchange with Will, I thought 'd throw this into
the ring. Despite the title, it is not a true sourdough, as it only
ferments overnight with the organisms in the flour, and is boosted by a
tiny bit of yeast. They are *very* good pancakes, though! Since pancake
style is probably even more of a religious issue than Sourdough, they
will not conform to everyone's taste, but I have found hardly any family
or guests that don't inhale them...

Dave

OVERNIGHT SOURDOUGH PANCAKES

Makes about 24, 2 1/2" pancakes.

Starter: (The night before)

1 Cup Unbleached flour
2 Tbl Sugar
1 Cup Warm water
1 tiny bit, 0.1 gram or less, dry yeast
I add about a 1/4" diameter single layer on the end
of a knife point. Can't weigh it, myself.

Water needs to be "baby bath" temp, about 90 - 95F, and should be
bottled water, or boiled and cooled tap water. The chlorine in tap water
will kill the natural yeasts and bacteria that make the sourdough!

Batter: (When ready to cook)

1 Lrg Egg, beaten
1 Tbl Honey or brown sugar
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbl Melted butter

The sourdough starter will have most likely settled out overnight.
Simply stir the liquid on top back into the flour batter.
Add the beaten egg and mix in the honey or sugar and salt.
Add the baking powder and soda, stirring just to mix thoroughly.
Finally, mix the melted butter into the starter.

Fry on a lightly greased or buttered griddle, until bubbles start to
break and the edges begin to crisp.
Turn and cook another 30 seconds or so.

The cakes will be very thin, but tender, not rubbery.
My preference is to eat them with fruit, preserves, a little powdered
sugar, or just lightly buttered.