Julia Altshuler

Default World's Best Tasting Casseroles...

Bill wrote:
> What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"? If anyone has
> experience with these gastronomical delights please advise me since I
> want to experiment with cooking something "outside the box" for a
> change.

Off the top of my head: cheese for a nice browned top and eggs to bind
all the inside stuff together.

My favorite casseroles are what I call "spanakopita variations." I
don't use the phyllo dough. Instead, I saute onions and add cooked
vegetables of some kind maybe carrots or cabbage or mushrooms. My main
concern is for vegetables that won't get soggy or let out too much
moisture as zucchini will. A leftover grain like brown rice or polenta
can go in here too. Then I add eggs and feta cheese, mix well, put into
a buttered casserole dish and top with another cheese like cheddar or
parmesan.

--Lia