Bill

Default World's Best Tasting Casseroles...

What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"? If anyone has
experience with these gastronomical delights please advise me since I
want to experiment with cooking something "outside the box" for a
change.

Bill :-)

Julia Altshuler

Bill wrote:
> What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"? If anyone has
> experience with these gastronomical delights please advise me since I
> want to experiment with cooking something "outside the box" for a
> change.

Off the top of my head: cheese for a nice browned top and eggs to bind
all the inside stuff together.

My favorite casseroles are what I call "spanakopita variations." I
don't use the phyllo dough. Instead, I saute onions and add cooked
vegetables of some kind maybe carrots or cabbage or mushrooms. My main
concern is for vegetables that won't get soggy or let out too much
moisture as zucchini will. A leftover grain like brown rice or polenta
can go in here too. Then I add eggs and feta cheese, mix well, put into
a buttered casserole dish and top with another cheese like cheddar or
parmesan.

--Lia

Dimitri

"Bill" > wrote in message
> What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"?

<SNIP>

1. Béchamel or another sauce.
2. Some form of starch.
3. A protein.
4. Vegetable(s)
5. A crust or topping.

Dimitri

casserole
This term refers to both a baking dish and the ingredients it contains.
Casserole cookery is extremely convenient because the ingredients are cooked
and served in the same dish. A "casserole dish" usually refers to a deep,
round, ovenproof container with handles and a tight-fitting lid. It can be
glass, metal, ceramic or any other heatproof material. A casserole's
ingredients can include meat, vegetables, beans, rice and anything else that
might seem appropriate. Often a topping such as cheese or bread crumbs is
added for texture and flavor.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

PENMART01

> Bill bigc asks:
>
>What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"? If anyone has
>experience with these gastronomical delights please advise me since I
>want to experiment with cooking something "outside the box" for a
>change.

Cream cheese, chocolate, peanut butter.

LINDY'S NEW YORK STYLE CHEESECAKE

INGREDIENTS:

Crust
1 large package Nabisco Nutter Butter Sandwich Cookies
1 large bag Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures

Filling
2 1/2 pounds Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
5 whole eggs + 2 yolks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 400F. Butter the bottom, and sides of a 9" springform pan.
Crumb the cookies, and press into bottom, and 1/3 up the sides of pan. Place
1 layer of peanut butter cups on bottom of pan. ( remove paper cups )

In the bowl of a mixer, combine the cheese, sugar, flour, lemon , orange, and
beat well. Add the eggs, and vanilla, and beat well. Add the heavy cream,
and beat well.

Increase the oven to 550F. Pour the cheese mixture into the crust. Bake for 12
to 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 200F, and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the
heat and keep the oven door open wide. Let the cake cool in the oven for 30
minutes.

Serves 8 to10
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

projectile vomit chick

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"?

> <SNIP>
>
> 1. Béchamel or another sauce.
> 2. Some form of starch.
> 3. A protein.
> 4. Vegetable(s)
> 5. A crust or topping.

Shame on you Dimitri, did you learn nothing from Jimmy Tango? Here are the
classic elements of the casserole:

1. cream of chicken or mushroom soup
2. egg noodles or sliced potatoes
3. canned luncheon meat
4. lima beans and other assorted canned veggies
5. canned onions or canned chow mein noodles (potato chips if it's for
company)
6. a warm can of schlitz to wash it down

Sheesh!

Dimitri

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Bill" > wrote in message
> > > What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"?

> > <SNIP>
> >
> > 1. Béchamel or another sauce.
> > 2. Some form of starch.
> > 3. A protein.
> > 4. Vegetable(s)
> > 5. A crust or topping.
> >

> Shame on you Dimitri, did you learn nothing from Jimmy Tango? Here are

the
> classic elements of the casserole:
>
> 1. cream of chicken or mushroom soup
> 2. egg noodles or sliced potatoes
> 3. canned luncheon meat
> 4. lima beans and other assorted canned veggies
> 5. canned onions or canned chow mein noodles (potato chips if it's for
> company)
> 6. a warm can of schlitz to wash it down
>
> Sheesh!

Nope! he

Dimitri

Three-Bean Casserole
1 lb. Lean ground beef or ground round
1 medium onion, chopped
(add 1-1/2 cups chopped celery, optional)
1 (15 oz.) can cut green beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can lima beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can chili-style beans in chili gravy
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2-3/4 cup ketchup (or barbecue sauce or chili sauce)
1-2 Tbsp. Cider or white vinegar
1 tsp. dry or cream mustard
Brown ground beef and onion in a 3-quart saucepan or skillet. Drain fat.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake
in preheated 325 degree oven 55-60 minutes. Makes 6-10 servings.

Julia Altshuler

MisNomer wrote:
> My goodness that sounds similar to my variation. I add sea shell pasta
> (cooked) to the spinach / feta / egg mix and put them in muffin tins, instead of
> using the filo... I call it spanakopita light.

How is it for coming out of the muffin tins? Do they hold their shape?
I can see the advantage of making the dish in portion sizes, but I
wonder about serving it if it is going to fall apart and look picked
through on the plate.

--Lia

projectile vomit chick

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> > > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > 1. Béchamel or another sauce.
> > > 2. Some form of starch.
> > > 3. A protein.
> > > 4. Vegetable(s)
> > > 5. A crust or topping.
> > >

> > Shame on you Dimitri, did you learn nothing from Jimmy Tango? Here are

> the
> > classic elements of the casserole:
> >
> > 1. cream of chicken or mushroom soup
> > 2. egg noodles or sliced potatoes
> > 3. canned luncheon meat
> > 4. lima beans and other assorted canned veggies
> > 5. canned onions or canned chow mein noodles (potato chips if it's for
> > company)
> > 6. a warm can of schlitz to wash it down
> >
> > Sheesh!

> Nope! he
>
> Dimitri
>
> Three-Bean Casserole
> 1 lb. Lean ground beef or ground round
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> (add 1-1/2 cups chopped celery, optional)
> 1 (15 oz.) can cut green beans, drained
> 1 (15 oz.) can lima beans, drained
> 1 (15 oz.) can chili-style beans in chili gravy
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2-3/4 cup ketchup (or barbecue sauce or chili sauce)
> 1-2 Tbsp. Cider or white vinegar
> 1 tsp. dry or cream mustard
> Brown ground beef and onion in a 3-quart saucepan or skillet. Drain fat.
> Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into 2-quart casserole. Cover and

bake
> in preheated 325 degree oven 55-60 minutes. Makes 6-10 servings.

*Urrrrrrrrrrrrrp!* Wow what a gastronomical delight that is! Perhaps one
could eliminate the middle man and just chug a bottle of milk of magnesia, w
ith tater tots on the side.

: What are the most popular ingredients for "Casseroles"? If anyone has
: experience with these gastronomical delights please advise me since I
: want to experiment with cooking something "outside the box" for a
: change.

: Bill :-)

Typical casseroles are for people who don't know how to cook. They are
NOT gastronomical delights, they are gastronomical crimes. Might
as well use Hamburger Helper...casserole-in-a-box. Definitely for
people who don't know how to cook.

On the other hand...lasagna could be considered a casserole, and as such
is the closest thing to a casserole I allow in the house!

:> Typical casseroles are for people who don't know how to cook. They are
:> NOT gastronomical delights, they are gastronomical crimes. Might
:> as well use Hamburger Helper...casserole-in-a-box. Definitely for
:> people who don't know how to cook.
:>
:>
:> On the other hand...lasagna could be considered a casserole, and as such
:> is the closest thing to a casserole I allow in the house!

: So are homemade macaroni and cheese, baked ziti with sausage, fresh
: mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, meatloaf, eggplant parmesan, scalloped
: potatoes with ham, chicken divan (made with a real cream sauce),
: enchiladas, etc. There are a lot of casseroles that are lovely. They
: don't necessarily get called casseroles commonly, and they don't have to
: have cream of whatever soup in them.

Meatloaf, eggplant parmesan, scalloped potatoes, and enchiladas aren't
casseroles. They are baked dishes, but aren't casseroles.