Posted to alt.food.barbecue
43fan 43fan is offline

Default Entry-Level Smoker Suggestions

"T.J. Warner" > wrote in message
.net...
> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for the
> next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box.
>
> I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a limb
> and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price (usually
> about $99-$119) is right.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long times,
> but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my current smoker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Slow and low!

I'm sure most here will say this is just wrong, and from a pure BBQ point,
they'd probably be right, but I have to say that the GOSM(Great Outdoors
Smokey Mountain) gas smoker that I purchased at WallyWorld of all places,
has worked great for me so far. My only complaint is that they didn't have
the larger one. Only "mod" I've made so far is to replace the wood/chip
box with believe it or not, a bean can that allows me to use chunks of wood
instead of chips. Cost? less than $100... So far, over 30hrs on a 20lb
bottle of propane, and still have approximately 1/2 left.