Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Entry-Level Smoker Suggestions

Hey Gang..

Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
suggestions on an entry level smoker.

I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
something with an off-set box.

I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
(Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a
limb and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price
(usually about $99-$119) is right.

Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long
times, but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my
current smoker.

Thanks in advance!

Slow and low!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Weber Smoky Mountains or Klose at www.bbqpits.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "T.J. Warner" > wrote in message
> > I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> > (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a limb
> > and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price (usually
> > about $99-$119) is right.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> > concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long times,
> > but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my current smoker.

> Weber Smoky Mountains or Klose at www.bbqpits.com

Come on Ed- entry level and Klose in the same post?! Especially when
the OP said that the price range from $99-$119 is right, and that he
will be purchasing a home soon? In your defense, the perameters given
are impossible- a commercial smoker under $150, and money left over to
but a house! He also stated that he wanted an offset smoker, which
leaves the Weber SM out. TJ- you're definitely not going to find a
commercial smoker in the price range you quoted. You can either throw
your budget to the wind, or lower your standards. After all, the home
purchase you're about to make is more important than a smoker- you can
smoke really good meat in it (the smoker, that is), but you can't live
in it! While it is certainly not commercial, you might want to take a
look at the Char Griller Super-Pro, available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
I've had mine for about a year and a half now, and it's still going
strong. Sure- it will never last as long, or perform nearly as well as
a Klose, but it is cheaper than most of the accessories on a Klose!
Good luck in your search- both the smoker and the house!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
>> Weber Smoky Mountains or Klose at www.bbqpits.com

> Come on Ed- entry level and Klose in the same post?! Especially when
> the OP said that the price range from $99-$119 is right, and that he
> will be purchasing a home soon?

I said the same thing you did, but in only one sentence. Does not matter
what the OP wants, it is not available. I offered the best bang for the
buck in the WSM. Works as well or better than offsets at 3X the price. If
he can't swing $200, stick with what he has. $120 offset is money down the
toilet.

I want a sports car that does 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, get 35 mpg and a budget
of $15k. Just won't happen.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

T.J. Warner wrote:
> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
> the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box.
>
> I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a
> limb and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price
> (usually about $99-$119) is right.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long
> times, but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my
> current smoker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Slow and low!

I don't like the offsets, too much fuss,n, get a wsm.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jun-2006, Piedmont > wrote:

> T.J. Warner wrote:
> > Hey Gang..
> >
> > Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> >
> > that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> > suggestions on an entry level smoker.
> >
> > I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
> > the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> >
> > something with an off-set box.
> >
> > I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> >
> > (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a
> > limb and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price
> > (usually about $99-$119) is right.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> > concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long
> > times, but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my
> > current smoker.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Slow and low!

> I don't like the offsets, too much fuss,n, get a wsm.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Piedmont

Responding to T.J. I've been at it since May of 2003 with a New Braunfels
Silver offset smoker which is the same design as the current Charbroil
Silver. (Charbroil bought out the New Braunfels brand). The first year, it
gave me fits. I was messing with the fire every 30 minutes and by the time
I got a rack of ribs cooked, I was about worn out. The next year was a
little easier. Ten days ago, I cooked two racks of beef ribs, two racks
of spares, and a whole pork loin. The whole cook went with the original
load of fuel. Granted the local temperature was about 90°.

I put all the meat in at 8:30 AM. The loin reached 130° by 9:45. Beef
ribs ribs came off at 10:00. Spares came off about 11:00 A. Granted
the heat ran higher then I would have liked. Probably 350° or so.

Bottom line, I can't knock the WSM, but there ain't no way in hell
that a single WSM can cook as much food as I can in one load
with my NB Silver for about the same original outlay in dollars. When I
resort to rib racks, I can do eight racks of ribs and two butts in one
load on one level. If I wanted to load the second lower level, I could
cook about 60% more.

If you want a strictly no hassle cooker, buy a WSM. Otherwise,
go with your conscience. I have no plans to buy a WSM although
I could tomorrow if I wished to do that. In fact I'm considering
buying a Weber grill to cook a proper steak.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Several years ago I bought an offset smoker - looks like the Brinkman
Silver - thing as it came was worthless. Some of the necessary mods

sealing up air leaks with wood stove gasket material and high temp
caulk

close up the smoke stack - cut a new one -4" -at the end in the bottom
of the smoke chamber

Add a heavy baffle just under the grill racks to increase mass and make
the temp more stable. I used a 1/2" thick sheet of steel which just
fit under the grill and also blocked the heat and smoke from the offset
burner from coming directly intothe chamber - it has to go most of the
way down the chamber before rising into thte top of the smoke chamber.

Block off the smoke stack opening so that the smoke and heat must go up
into the smoke chamber and come down before exiting.

Cover the smoke chamber with at least 6" of fiberglass insulation - use
unfaced insulation and then on top - use aluminum duct insulation to
hold it on. The insulation is held in place by 1/2" x 3/16" steel
strips bolted onto the body of the smoke chamber. What this does is
let you smoke year round and in a lot of wind and not use much fuel.
Takes maybe 4 or 5 sticks of oak to smoke for 10-12 hours.

All of the info on how to do this was obtained off this site - be
careful in measuring for the steel plate - it has to butt up against
the firebox end and be very close to both sides and maybe 3" from the
end away from the fire box. Get to the Klose site - use their smoke
recirculation technique as a guide. If you like things really smoky -
adding the insulation really reduces the amount of wood you use - and
the smoke flavor is not as strong - but good enough for me - really
perfect for smoking whole salmon and brisket.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

T.J. Warner wrote:
> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
> the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box...

T.J.,

If you are willing to spare a little extra dough, go to this website
and start to drooool!
www.bigdrumsmokers.com

If you go with Brinkman, they sell a grill that has a front access door
and allows you to move the cooking level up and down with a crank. It
seems the metal is heavy enough gage. If you use lump charcoal with
this type of set up, you will also do good. It runs about $199 at
Lowe's.

Good luck,
SmokingDave
"If you smell like smoke, it ain't no joke"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"T.J. Warner" wrote:

> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
> the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box.
>
> I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a
> limb and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price
> (usually about $99-$119) is right.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long
> times, but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my
> current smoker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Slow and low!

TJ,
Here is the web site for the New Braunsfels smoker company located in New
Braunsfels, TX about 60 plus miles from where I live (Austin, TX). I have
their Bandera model upright smoker and cannot complain about it. Cost was
more or less $200 about 7 years ago, it has gone down about $10 to $20 in
the last few years. I have used it here in Austin with temps ranging from
80 to 105 degrees F and as low as 40 to 50 degrees and all the time I get
the same results - excellent briskets, chicken, ribs and sausage.

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/barbe...okingwood.aspx

You can plan on spending over $175 for an average smoker, but in reality
$200 plus is the norm for a good one. Of course if you decide to enter the
cook off tour, then we are talking 4 and maybe 5 digit$.

Home Depot has the New Braunsfels smokers and a bunch of other brands, Lowes
has another string of smokers, including the New Braunsfels. Check with the
boutique BBQ stores, they have some very good ones, but you will have to
wait several years to buy the meat while you pay off the loan on the smoker.

Hope this helps you out in making your decision to by a smoker. This is an
important decision akin to buying a new car or even a new home. Do your
research and you will find the one that will bring shit eating grins from
your guest as their taste buds are immersed in the cut with your fork meats.

And in closing, as much as possible use lump wood coal versus charcoal
briquettes (Kingsford brand comes to mind). Lump burns longer and hotter,
you can control the heat better because of that. I'm not saying briquettes
aren't good, I prefer lump and have had better results.

Good luck,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

WSM, check www.virtualweberbullet.com
it is almost impossible to go wrong

T.J. Warner wrote:
> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for
> the next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box.
>
> I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a
> limb and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price
> (usually about $99-$119) is right.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long
> times, but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my
> current smoker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Slow and low!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi group --

Thanks for the tips. I didn't mean to make it sound like $120 was my
final limit, only that I saw some commercial type entry-level smokers
for that price and wondered if they were good (or at least a good start).

I would probably go up to $200, but as I stated before, the house takes
priority, especially since they just aren't too affordable anymore.

Thanks again for the help everyone!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well better to wait and save the money so you can spend the $275 or so
to get a WSM. The WSM is way above many units costing the same and is
used by many competitors also.

T.J. Warner wrote:
> Hi group --
>
> Thanks for the tips. I didn't mean to make it sound like $120 was my
> final limit, only that I saw some commercial type entry-level smokers
> for that price and wondered if they were good (or at least a good start).
>
> I would probably go up to $200, but as I stated before, the house takes
> priority, especially since they just aren't too affordable anymore.
>
> Thanks again for the help everyone!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"T.J. Warner" > wrote in message
.net...
> Hey Gang..
>
> Just found the group. I've been cue'ing for years and now that it seems
> that a house purchase is in the near midst, I was looking to get some
> suggestions on an entry level smoker.
>
> I've used a water/charcoal small smoker for a while, but I'm ready for the
> next "level" so to speak. It's treated me well, but I'm looking for
> something with an off-set box.
>
> I've seen a few at the local Home Depot/Lowe's (Brinkman) and at Walmart
> (Charbroil Silver something or other)... Now I'm going to go out on a limb
> and say that I'm sure these aren't the best made, but the price (usually
> about $99-$119) is right.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything commercially made that's decent? I'm
> concerned that the metal will be too thin to hold the heat for long times,
> but I do like the amount of cooking space they have vs. my current smoker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Slow and low!

I'm sure most here will say this is just wrong, and from a pure BBQ point,
they'd probably be right, but I have to say that the GOSM(Great Outdoors
Smokey Mountain) gas smoker that I purchased at WallyWorld of all places,
has worked great for me so far. My only complaint is that they didn't have
the larger one. Only "mod" I've made so far is to replace the wood/chip
box with believe it or not, a bean can that allows me to use chunks of wood
instead of chips. Cost? less than $100... So far, over 30hrs on a 20lb
bottle of propane, and still have approximately 1/2 left.