Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Warming Up To Cold Soups

"Bob Terwilliger" > schreef in bericht
> I'd never been crazy about cold soups, but it seems that I just never had
> *good* cold soups before. Last Friday I brought cold borscht to work, and
> liked it a lot. Yesterday I brought another cold soup (cream of zucchini
> with sunflower greens), and I *loved* it. Today I brought white gazpacho,
> and I'm enjoying it as I write this. (White gazpacho is a kind of almond
> milk with garlic and peeled white grapes. The recipe originates in Spain,
> same as "normal" gazpacho. Martha Stewart has a cucumber-based soup that
> she CALLS white gazpacho, but I think it's just named that because it's
> cold.)
>
> In the brutally hot weather we get around Sacramento, cold soups make a
> lot
> more sense than hot this time of year. It's also easy and practical to
> take
> them into work, as I've been doing, and I don't need a microwave to make
> them palatable. They'll be a regular part of my cooking repertoire from
> now
> on. I'm glad I broke free of my prejudice against them! Anybody out there
> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?
>
> Bob

I don't have an actual recipe (I wing it), but there are Turkish yogurt
soups that are served cold. They may include cumin, or go the dill or
parsley way. Uusually made with veg stock. Things to give it more body could
be cooked lentils or barley. I guess you could also top it with (garlicky or
parpika-ey) croutons. Or serve with flat bread.

The soup is cooked without the yogurt, then cooled. Finally, the yogurt is
stirred in.