Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM TammyM is offline

Default Warming Up To Cold Soups

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Myrl wrote:
>
>> I live in Sacramento too. . .My favorite cold soup recipe follows.
>>
>> Gazpacho
>>
>> 1 C. finely chopped peeled tomatoes
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped green sweet peppers
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped cucumber
>> 1/4 C. minced onion
>> 2 tsp. chopped parsley
>> 1 tsp. chopped chives
>> 1 small clove of garlic, pressed
>> 2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
>> 2 tbsp. olive oil
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1/4 tsp. pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 C. tomato or V/8 juice
>>
>> Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and blend well. Cover tightly
>> and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve in chilled cups with fried
>> croutons.
>>
>> You may liquefy in blender if desired. This will make about 6 servings.

> I'm going to try that this week. But I'm going to tweak it to reflect what
> I've got: Rather than finely chopped peeled tomatoes I'm going to use
> quartered cherry tomatoes. And I'm going to use marjoram vinegar instead
> of
> tarragon vinegar.
>
> Thanks for the recipe!

I love gazpacho too. But I think I'll wait for decent tomatoes to hit the
stands. Living in Sacramento (yeah, there are a few of us!), you'd think
the grocery stores would be full to the brim with fabulous tomatoes. Not
so. Only place to buy em is at the farmer's market -- or pick em from the
back yard!

TammyM