Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Jam/Marmalade and Splenda

In article >,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
> > reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
> > for an apricot jam that uses xylitol

> Oooh! Can it be adapted for peaches?
>
> > (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
> > to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
> > downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
> > Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
> > pretenders., :-)

> Priscilla, big fan of peach jam{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Apricot Preserves

Recipe By: posted to alt.food.diabetic by Barb Schaller 6-14-2006
Serving Size:
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 pound dried apricots
1 1/2 cups xylitol
3 1/2 cups water

Chop apricots very finely.* *The recipe said to use a food processor.* I
didn't chop them quite so finely.* I just used my chef's knife and kept
chopping until it looked like I wanted it to.* Transfer to a 3 1/2 quart
crock pot or slow cooker. Stir in xylitol and water.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice. Uncover and
continue cooking 2 hours longer or until jam has thickened, stirring
occasionally.

Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jelly jars, sealing and process
according to the manufacterer's directions, or store in the refrigerator
for up to 3 weeks. May be frozen for up to 2 months.

Source: Bonnie Madre June, 2005

Barb's Note: Those are Bonnie's directions,. I chopped the aps in a
food processor with some of the xylitol to discourage sticking. Make
small jars! The stuff, once opened, will start to crystallize almost as
you watch it. That's the downside. The known effects of the -tol
sweeteners has never been a problem for me -- ymmv.
‹‹‹‹‹

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1081 Calories; 2g Fat (2%
calories from fat); 17g Protein; 280g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
70mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fruit
_____

Give it a shot, Priscilla.