Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Jam/Marmalade and Splenda

Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?

Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

PETER PENDLETON > wrote:
: Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
: sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?

: Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.

: PP

I make several batches of no dugar added jame every year. I use a special
pectin that is made in the US b the Ball comapny and Mrs. Wages . (Ball
has better keeping poroperties). I follow th instruction that come with
the pectin adn don't add any sweetener util I am goin gto use the jam. (
I sterilize my jam, rather than freeze it). When I open the 8 oz jar I
add 1 Tablespoon of wter and 4-5 packets of either nutrisweet(aspertane)
or Splenda and sstir. I store the jam in teh fridge once it is opene and
don' t keep it too long as it molds quite easily, not having the sugar as
a preservative.

It comes out not exactly like regular sugared jam (it doesn't have the
hjjewel-like clarity) but is is just great to have it and it is better
than the Smuckers no sugr added jam.

I have never ried marmalade for 2 reson,
I like the bitter kind and can't get the Seville oranges in quantity here
and
2 I don't believe tht yu could get the marmalade consistance and txtur
without the sugar. I do miss it though.

I generally do berry jams, as they are available either fr the picking or
at low prices in season in my area. I imagin yu could do peah or plum is
you wnted to.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:

> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
> sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?
>
> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.

I've made reduced sugar preserves, but I could have added in artificial
sweetener if I wanted. Most jam is too sweet for my taste, so I see
dropping some sweetness as a feature, not a bug. (I also get a horrible
aftertaste from all artificial sweeteners except for sugar alcohols.)
There's a special pectin for low-sugar jam, because the regular stuff
depends on the sugar. It works fine, although the texture is a little
bit different. I think there's some info in the Ball Blue Book (the
bible of preserving).

Where the difference really comes in is after you've opened a jar of the
low-sugar jam. Sugar is a preservative (and artificial sweetener is
NOT), and your unsugared or low-sugared jam will mold a whole lot
quicker than regular jam, even in the fridge. So make small jars, and,
once one is opened, eat it fairly quickly (that one's rough, I know!).

Thanks for reminding me! Strawberries are just starting to show in the
farmers markets here in Boston. I think my 10 year old niece needs to
see how jam is made. :-)

Priscilla aka Aunt Scilly
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

PETER PENDLETON wrote:

> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
> sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?
>
> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.
>
> PP

We're waiting for strawberries, they're opening this week. For jam,, use
a low-methoxyl pectin such as Certo light or Bernardin no-sugar-added.
Follow the directions depending on the type of sweetener you're using
(Splenda can be boiled, aspart*me is added at the end). The jams turn
out very nice when stored in the freezer.

Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:

> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
> sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?
>
> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.
>
> PP

www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
www.splenda.com or call 1-800-7-SPLENDA
www.equal.com or call 1-800-323-5316
www.sweetnlow.com

Information on pectin for making sugar-free or low sugar jellied
products can be found at these sites:
www.homecanning.com
www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/
www.mrswages.com
www.pomonapectin.com
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade.
>> It is said to be 600% sweeter than sugar but will it act
>> the same when making preserves?
>>
>> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a
>> diabetic wife.
>>
>> PP

> www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
> www.splenda.com or call 1-800-7-SPLENDA
> www.equal.com or call 1-800-323-5316
> www.sweetnlow.com
>
> Information on pectin for making sugar-free or low sugar
> jellied products can be found at these sites:
> www.homecanning.com
> www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/
> www.mrswages.com
> www.pomonapectin.com

When it comes to this topic, Melba, you are the definite authority.
Thanks for sharing.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:00:41 +0100, "PETER PENDLETON"
> wrote:

>Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
>sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?
>
>Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.
>
>PP

We have made several batches of this, my hubby (he is T2) loves lemon
marmalade and now he can have it with breakfast again.

Lemon Marmalade

1 pound lemons (5 - 6 lemons)
Water to cover
5 tbs. Splenda or to taste
1 envelope unsweetened gelatine dissolved in ¼ cup of water

Wash the lemons thoroughly in warm water, remove the stalks. Cut each
lemon in half and squeeze out the juice. Remove the seeds and cut away
pulp and excess pith. Tie the pulp, pith and seeds loosely in a muslin
bag (actually I use a clean Jay-cloth towelette). Slice the skins into
matchstick strips and place these in the cooking pan with the juice,
and add water until lemon matchsticks are just covered. Tuck the
muslin bag into the pot, bring to the boil and simmer until the strips
of lemon skin are very tender.

Remove the muslin bag and squeeze out any liquid. Add the Splenda and
bring to the boil until it is fully dissolved. Take off the heat and
let cool slightly. Taste for sweetness (carefully - this is hot) and
add more Splenda to taste. Dissolve the gelatine in a little hot
water, and stir thoroughly into the marmalade mixture. Pour into hot
clean jars and seal. Store, when cool in the refrigerator. Makes 2
pints or 4 cups (64 tablespoons). Total recipe - 83 calories and 53
grams of carbohydrates. Per tablespoon - 1.3 calories and 0.8 grams of
carbohydrates.

Andrea2
Type2
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

--Buddha

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Very many thanks to everyone who replied so promptly, It seems that only
sugar will make 'proper' marmalade - I amaze myself as I could only boil
water when I started!

For those of you on the other side of the 'Pond' you might like to be aware
of ' Hartleys Ma Made ' a tinned product made by Chivers Hartley, Long
Sutton, Spalding, Lincolnshire PE12 9EQ, which comes in both lemon and
bitter orange varieties. My wife used to mix one and one to get the
authentic bite required. The result is certainly as good as that we make
when in Paraguay where bitter orange trees lined the road.

Particular thanks to ' Aunt Scilly ' from 'Nana Nora' who . after five
sons, taught four Grand daughters to cook and to Wendy Baker for her
advice.

Now I must get on with the ironing...........!

PP
"PETER PENDLETON" > wrote in message
> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be
> 600% sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?
>
> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 <andrea6192001nospam@yahoolcom> wrote:

: We have made several batches of this, my hubby (he is T2) loves lemon
: marmalade and now he can have it with breakfast again.

: Lemon Marmalade

: 1 pound lemons (5 - 6 lemons)
: Water to cover
: 5 tbs. Splenda or to taste
: 1 envelope unsweetened gelatine dissolved in ? cup of water

:
: Remove the muslin bag and squeeze out any liquid. Add the Splenda and
: bring to the boil until it is fully dissolved. Take off the heat and
: let cool slightly. Taste for sweetness (carefully - this is hot) and
: add more Splenda to taste. Dissolve the gelatine in a little hot
: water, and stir thoroughly into the marmalade mixture. Pour into hot
: clean jars and seal. Store, when cool in the refrigerator. Makes 2
: pints or 4 cups (64 tablespoons). Total recipe - 83 calories and 53
: grams of carbohydrates. Per tablespoon - 1.3 calories and 0.8 grams of
: carbohydrates.

: Andrea2
: Type2

Andrea,

Thanks for this recipe. I will definitely try it. Now if only I could
get those seville oranges:-(
Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade.
> >> It is said to be 600% sweeter than sugar but will it act
> >> the same when making preserves?
> >>
> >> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a
> >> diabetic wife.
> >>
> >> PP

> > www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
> > www.splenda.com or call 1-800-7-SPLENDA
> > www.equal.com or call 1-800-323-5316
> > www.sweetnlow.com
> >
> > Information on pectin for making sugar-free or low sugar
> > jellied products can be found at these sites:
> > www.homecanning.com
> > www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/
> > www.mrswages.com
> > www.pomonapectin.com

> When it comes to this topic, Melba, you are the definite authority.
> Thanks for sharing.

It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
for an apricot jam that uses xylitol (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
pretenders., :-)

Mostly, thanks for the compliment,.
-B
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,
20, & 21.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:

> Very many thanks to everyone who replied so promptly, It seems that only
> sugar will make 'proper' marmalade - I amaze myself as I could only boil
> water when I started!
>
> For those of you on the other side of the 'Pond' you might like to be aware
> of ' Hartleys Ma Made ' a tinned product made by Chivers Hartley, Long
> Sutton, Spalding, Lincolnshire PE12 9EQ, which comes in both lemon and
> bitter orange varieties. My wife used to mix one and one to get the
> authentic bite required. The result is certainly as good as that we make
> when in Paraguay where bitter orange trees lined the road.
>
> Particular thanks to ' Aunt Scilly ' from 'Nana Nora' who . after five
> sons, taught four Grand daughters to cook and to Wendy Baker for her
> advice.

<big grin>

> Now I must get on with the ironing...........!

Priscilla (Emma's Aunt Scilly)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
> reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
> for an apricot jam that uses xylitol

Oooh! Can it be adapted for peaches?

> (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
> to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
> downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
> Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
> pretenders., :-)

Priscilla, big fan of peach jam
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
> > reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
> > for an apricot jam that uses xylitol

> Oooh! Can it be adapted for peaches?
>
> > (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
> > to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
> > downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
> > Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
> > pretenders., :-)

> Priscilla, big fan of peach jam{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Apricot Preserves

Recipe By: posted to alt.food.diabetic by Barb Schaller 6-14-2006
Serving Size:
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 pound dried apricots
1 1/2 cups xylitol
3 1/2 cups water

Chop apricots very finely.* *The recipe said to use a food processor.* I
didn't chop them quite so finely.* I just used my chef's knife and kept
chopping until it looked like I wanted it to.* Transfer to a 3 1/2 quart
crock pot or slow cooker. Stir in xylitol and water.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice. Uncover and
continue cooking 2 hours longer or until jam has thickened, stirring
occasionally.

Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jelly jars, sealing and process
according to the manufacterer's directions, or store in the refrigerator
for up to 3 weeks. May be frozen for up to 2 months.

Source: Bonnie Madre June, 2005

Barb's Note: Those are Bonnie's directions,. I chopped the aps in a
food processor with some of the xylitol to discourage sticking. Make
small jars! The stuff, once opened, will start to crystallize almost as
you watch it. That's the downside. The known effects of the -tol
sweeteners has never been a problem for me -- ymmv.
‹‹‹‹‹

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1081 Calories; 2g Fat (2%
calories from fat); 17g Protein; 280g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
70mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fruit
_____

Give it a shot, Priscilla.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,
20, & 21.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
> > > reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
> > > for an apricot jam that uses xylitol

> > Oooh! Can it be adapted for peaches?
> >
> > > (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
> > > to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
> > > downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
> > > Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
> > > pretenders., :-)

> > Priscilla, big fan of peach jam{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

> Apricot Preserves
>
> Recipe By: posted to alt.food.diabetic by Barb Schaller 6-14-2006
> Serving Size:
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1 pound dried apricots
> 1 1/2 cups xylitol
> 3 1/2 cups water
>
> Chop apricots very finely.* *The recipe said to use a food processor.* I
> didn't chop them quite so finely.* I just used my chef's knife and kept
> chopping until it looked like I wanted it to.* Transfer to a 3 1/2 quart
> crock pot or slow cooker. Stir in xylitol and water.
>
> Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice. Uncover and
> continue cooking 2 hours longer or until jam has thickened, stirring
> occasionally.
>
> Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jelly jars, sealing and process
> according to the manufacterer's directions, or store in the refrigerator
> for up to 3 weeks. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
>
> Source: Bonnie Madre June, 2005
>
> Barb's Note: Those are Bonnie's directions,. I chopped the aps in a
> food processor with some of the xylitol to discourage sticking. Make
> small jars! The stuff, once opened, will start to crystallize almost as
> you watch it. That's the downside. The known effects of the -tol
> sweeteners has never been a problem for me -- ymmv.
> ‹‹‹‹‹
>
> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1081 Calories; 2g Fat (2%
> calories from fat); 17g Protein; 280g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
> 70mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fruit
> _____

Uh, I think the "per serving" calculation is off. 280g Carb? LOL!
18.5 fruit exchanges? :-)

> Give it a shot, Priscilla.

I think I will. YUM!

Thanks!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1081 Calories; 2g Fat (2%
> > calories from fat); 17g Protein; 280g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
> > 70mg Sodium
> > Food Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fruit
> > _____

> Uh, I think the "per serving" calculation is off. 280g Carb? LOL!
> 18.5 fruit exchanges? :-)

Hey, I didn't do the calculation. Funny, because I usually delete that
part of the recipe before posting because I don't usually believe it.

OTOH, that calculation is for one batch, not serving. Lessee, when I
made it last year, I canned seven 4-ounce jars -- that's a half cup jar.
Four tablespoons? Let's say 30 tablespoons in the batch. IF those
numbers ARE accurate, is 9.333333 carbs per tablespoon a lot? I have
no clue. And if there are more than 4 tbsp in a small jar, the numbers
look better, no?

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,
20, & 21.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1081 Calories; 2g Fat (2%
> > > calories from fat); 17g Protein; 280g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
> > > 70mg Sodium
> > > Food Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fruit
> > > _____

> > Uh, I think the "per serving" calculation is off. 280g Carb? LOL!
> > 18.5 fruit exchanges? :-)

> Hey, I didn't do the calculation. Funny, because I usually delete that
> part of the recipe before posting because I don't usually believe it.
>
> OTOH, that calculation is for one batch, not serving. Lessee, when I
> made it last year, I canned seven 4-ounce jars -- that's a half cup jar.
> Four tablespoons? Let's say 30 tablespoons in the batch. IF those
> numbers ARE accurate, is 9.333333 carbs per tablespoon a lot? I have
> no clue. And if there are more than 4 tbsp in a small jar, the numbers
> look better, no?

I'm not real anal about the number of carbs once they're down on that
level. I was just bemused about a jam that had 280 grams of carb per
serving. ;-)

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 14 Jun 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

> Hey, I didn't do the calculation. Funny, because I usually delete
> that part of the recipe before posting because I don't usually believe
> it.
>
> OTOH, that calculation is for one batch, not serving. Lessee, when I
> made it last year, I canned seven 4-ounce jars -- that's a half cup
> jar. Four tablespoons? Let's say 30 tablespoons in the batch. IF
> those numbers ARE accurate, is 9.333333 carbs per tablespoon a lot?
> I have no clue. And if there are more than 4 tbsp in a small jar, the
> numbers look better, no?
>
> > > Give it a shot, Priscilla.

> > I think I will. YUM!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,
> 20, & 21.
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

1 oz is 2 tbsp hence 4 oz would be 8 tbsp and carbs per tbsp would be
around 4.65

--
-Alan

using Splenda cathy General Cooking 19 10-12-2006 05:59 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 07:01 AM
splenda bill Diabetic 61 14-08-2005 03:16 PM
Splenda CapStick Diabetic 4 28-10-2003 03:35 PM