Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default Jam/Marmalade and Splenda

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "PETER PENDLETON" > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade.
> >> It is said to be 600% sweeter than sugar but will it act
> >> the same when making preserves?
> >>
> >> Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a
> >> diabetic wife.
> >>
> >> PP

> > www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
> > www.splenda.com or call 1-800-7-SPLENDA
> > www.equal.com or call 1-800-323-5316
> > www.sweetnlow.com
> >
> > Information on pectin for making sugar-free or low sugar
> > jellied products can be found at these sites:
> > www.homecanning.com
> > www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/
> > www.mrswages.com
> > www.pomonapectin.com

> When it comes to this topic, Melba, you are the definite authority.
> Thanks for sharing.

It's what I do, Pete. "-) Let it be known, however, that I don't do
reduced-sugar jams, with very few exceptions. I've got a killer recipe
for an apricot jam that uses xylitol (from Bonnie Madre - used to post
to r.f.cooking) that'll knock thy hosiery off. The -tols have their
downsides, but, man this stuff is good. Lemme know -- or do some
Googling for it - put all the names in there to winnow out the
pretenders., :-)

Mostly, thanks for the compliment,.
-B
--