Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Jam/Marmalade and Splenda

PETER PENDLETON > wrote:
: Has anyone used Splenda when making jam or marmalade. It is said to be 600%
: sweeter than sugar but will it act the same when making preserves?

: Any advice welcomed by octogenarians catering for a diabetic wife.

: PP

I make several batches of no dugar added jame every year. I use a special
pectin that is made in the US b the Ball comapny and Mrs. Wages . (Ball
has better keeping poroperties). I follow th instruction that come with
the pectin adn don't add any sweetener util I am goin gto use the jam. (
I sterilize my jam, rather than freeze it). When I open the 8 oz jar I
add 1 Tablespoon of wter and 4-5 packets of either nutrisweet(aspertane)
or Splenda and sstir. I store the jam in teh fridge once it is opene and
don' t keep it too long as it molds quite easily, not having the sugar as
a preservative.

It comes out not exactly like regular sugared jam (it doesn't have the
hjjewel-like clarity) but is is just great to have it and it is better
than the Smuckers no sugr added jam.

I have never ried marmalade for 2 reson,
I like the bitter kind and can't get the Seville oranges in quantity here
and
2 I don't believe tht yu could get the marmalade consistance and txtur
without the sugar. I do miss it though.

I generally do berry jams, as they are available either fr the picking or
at low prices in season in my area. I imagin yu could do peah or plum is
you wnted to.

Wendy