Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Betty Crocker Diabetes Cook Book was Recommended Carbs?

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>

>>Example if the food works out to say 15 carbs it is 3 units (15/5 =
>>3)...If it works out to 17 (17/5 = 3.4) carbs it is 4 units...There are
>>no fractional parts. He always rounds up to the nearest whole number.

> Um... Yeah. But it still makes no sense to say that a unit of carbs is 5
> g. Using that theory, you'd have to cut everything into unreasonable
> amounts. Like 1/3 of a slice of bread. This is what makes no sense.

AFAIK, the units are usually 15g. That's the ADA carb-counting
guideline. I think that either the OP or his doctor got something
switched around. DH has been carb-counting for 4 years. We've been to
education and everything else we read about carb-counting says a unit is
15g.

BTW, I just tried, on approval, Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook. I
figured it would be just like all the others 45g of carb deserts
substituting Splenda for sugar and cutting fat, etc. It isn't. The book
has some excellent information for carb-counters and even explains
carb-counting. It also gives "exchange" information. The highest a
single recipe is is 4 carb counts but they are the minority. Most are 2
to 2.5.

I was quite surprised at how many nice recipes there were that were 0
or 1 count. The portions are small, so if you are a big eater, don't
bother. If you need to lose weight, you might like it.

The book uses portion control and doesn't use artificial sweetners. I'd
imagine some of the recipes can be changed with Splenda for a larger
serving or cutting down on the amount of fruit, etc. I kind of liked the
fact that it didn't use any "fake" products and seemed to preach that
you don't have to deprive yourself if you use portion control. They did
offer substitution amounts of egg substitute for fresh eggs, but fresh
eggs were the first ingredient.

There was also a section about how to use the meter to test for PPBGs to
see how different foods effect you and good information about DM in
general. I did not find it to be completely ADA.

It's certainly not a perfect book and won't be a hit for the Under 30g
of carbs per day group, but for many T2s it's got a lot of good
information as well as easy recipes. I could easily use the recipes to
stay within DH's under 100g per day program.

The menus are not for us. Too carby for anything but a highly active
teen age athelete, IMO, but for all I know there are T2s out there who
can endure on meals of 60 to 75g of carbs. Maybe if they had horrible
eating habits before?? I'm no expert, so I can't comment. I just know
that the menus wouldn't work for us.

I think the book would be excellent for newly dx'd T2s as long as they
have been through education and have a handle, or at least a
professional recommendation, on their own carb intake limitations.

I got the book through Rodale, the publishers of "Prevention" I believe
it's available other places.

This posting is JMHO and put here for informational purposes. There is
no intention to start any flame wars, so please don't.

TIA

Janet

--
Janet Wilder