Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Lime Bath

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:16:31 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>
>> The Joneses wrote:

>> > Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
>> > rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
>> > Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
>> > (changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
>> > Edrena, fuming
>> >

>> Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
>> always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
>> them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
>> and I've been making the things for over 40 years.
>>
>> George

>Whew. Thanks George. Glad to have somebody with more experience around.
>Don't go anywhere.
>Edrena

I agree with George about the limed cukes. I have been making a sweet
pickle probably like the one George makes for about 20 years. I never
thought about tasting the cukes just out of the brine.

I bought beets again at the farmers market today and will try to get
the wine pickled beets made. Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
Remembering that they are there is the problem.

I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
rhubarb/orange jelly.

Guess I better get to work.
--
Susan N.