Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Lime Bath

So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
> the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
> to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
> have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
> Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

Assuming you mean slaked lime, not quick lime, then slaked lime is
calcium hydroxide ( Ca(OH)2 ) and this is only slightly soluble in
water, about 0.2gm/100mL.

Quick lime is calcium oxide ( CaO ) which turns to Ca(OH)2 when it
reacts with water.

calcium hydroxide, lime, slaked lime, calcium hydrate, caustic lime,
lime hydrate,
hydrated lime are all the same compound

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 04:52:53 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
>the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
>to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
>have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
>Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

It never dissolves completely. Give it a stir once in a while.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
> the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
> to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
> have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
> Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

You gotta stir it occasionally, make sure the cukes are covered
completely and the stirring helps that too. I usually make a batch with
8 lbs of cukes, tips cut off and sliced thin with my Roncomatic slicer.
It's a pain doing it this way but you end up with such nice, crispy
pickle slices.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

GreenieLeBrun wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
> > the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
> > to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
> > have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
> > Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

> Assuming you mean slaked lime, not quick lime, then slaked lime is
> calcium hydroxide ( Ca(OH)2 ) and this is only slightly soluble in
> water, about 0.2gm/100mL.
>
> Quick lime is calcium oxide ( CaO ) which turns to Ca(OH)2 when it
> reacts with water.
>
> calcium hydroxide, lime, slaked lime, calcium hydrate, caustic lime,
> lime hydrate,
> hydrated lime are all the same compound

It's the food grade lime for homemade pickles, calcium hydroxide.
Thanks all for the advice. The slices are so crisp it is like they were
frozen! But I know better than to try to taste them at this stage. Might
pucker me permanently!
Edrena, off stirring.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
> the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
> to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
> have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
> Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
(changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
Edrena, fuming

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>

>>So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
>>the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
>>to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
>>have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
>>Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

> Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
> rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
> Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
> (changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
> Edrena, fuming

Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
and I've been making the things for over 40 years.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > The Joneses wrote:
> >

> >>So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
> >>the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
> >>to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
> >>have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
> >>Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

> > Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
> > rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
> > Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
> > (changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
> > Edrena, fuming
> >

> Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
> always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
> them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
> and I've been making the things for over 40 years.
>
> George

Whew. Thanks George. Glad to have somebody with more experience around.
Don't go anywhere.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:16:31 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>
>> The Joneses wrote:

>> > Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
>> > rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
>> > Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
>> > (changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
>> > Edrena, fuming
>> >

>> Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
>> always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
>> them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
>> and I've been making the things for over 40 years.
>>
>> George

>Whew. Thanks George. Glad to have somebody with more experience around.
>Don't go anywhere.
>Edrena

I agree with George about the limed cukes. I have been making a sweet
pickle probably like the one George makes for about 20 years. I never
thought about tasting the cukes just out of the brine.

I bought beets again at the farmers market today and will try to get
the wine pickled beets made. Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
Remembering that they are there is the problem.

I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
rhubarb/orange jelly.

Guess I better get to work.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:16:31 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:

> >> Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
> >> always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
> >> them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
> >> and I've been making the things for over 40 years.
> >> George

> >Whew. Thanks George. Glad to have somebody with more experience around.
> >Don't go anywhere.
> >Edrena
> >

> I agree with George about the limed cukes. I have been making a sweet
> pickle probably like the one George makes for about 20 years. I never
> thought about tasting the cukes just out of the brine.
> I bought beets again at the farmers market today and will try to get
> the wine pickled beets made. Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
> will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
> about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
> Remembering that they are there is the problem.
> I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
> rhubarb/orange jelly.
> Guess I better get to work.
> Susan N.

The more advice, the merrier.
Now that jelly sounds intriguing. I'm not a rhubarb fan, but anything with
oranges will get my attention. Just the regular sort of oranges or fancy kind?
I picked up more beets today too; glad you found the recipe. Last batch I
made sugar free and this batch will be with sugar. My extended family loves
them.
Have you made brandied apples? I made brandied pears last year and was very
happy (!) with the result. I found using very firm fruits made the best
product. I tried to use a bunch of teensy ones - I thought they'd be cute.
Cute, but a pain to peel (those had a tough peel). Better off peeling & slicing
bigger ones. I'm going to do brandied cherries this year too. Cherry Festival
is next weekend.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:13:06 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>> I agree with George about the limed cukes. I have been making a sweet
>> pickle probably like the one George makes for about 20 years. I never
>> thought about tasting the cukes just out of the brine.
>> I bought beets again at the farmers market today and will try to get
>> the wine pickled beets made. Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
>> will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
>> about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
>> Remembering that they are there is the problem.
>> I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
>> rhubarb/orange jelly.
>> Guess I better get to work.
>> Susan N.

>The more advice, the merrier.
> Now that jelly sounds intriguing. I'm not a rhubarb fan, but anything with
>oranges will get my attention. Just the regular sort of oranges or fancy kind?
> I picked up more beets today too; glad you found the recipe. Last batch I
>made sugar free and this batch will be with sugar. My extended family loves
>them.
> Have you made brandied apples? I made brandied pears last year and was very
>happy (!) with the result. I found using very firm fruits made the best
>product. I tried to use a bunch of teensy ones - I thought they'd be cute.
>Cute, but a pain to peel (those had a tough peel). Better off peeling & slicing
>bigger ones. I'm going to do brandied cherries this year too. Cherry Festival
>is next weekend.
>Edrena

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb-Orange Jelly

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 cups rhubarb -- chopped
2 1/3 cups water
6 ounces orange juice, frozen concentrate
1 each pectin -- powered, 1 3/4oz
4 cups sugar

Combine rhubarb and 2 cups of the water and cook over moderate heat
for about 15 minutes. Strain in a Sieve, rubbing pulp through.
Measure 2 cups juice, add the orange concentrate, the remaining 1/3
cup water and stir in pectin.

Set over high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently.

Add sugar and bring again to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1
minute. Remove from heat and skim.

Seal in hot sterilized glasses and boiling water bath for 5 minutes
for pints.

Source:
"Putting Food By, 2nd edition"
Copyright:
"1975"
Yield:
"2 1/2 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used fresh squeezed orange juice and Sure-Jell.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oh pshaw, on Sat 10 Jun 2006 04:44:59a, George Shirley meant to say...

> The Joneses wrote:
>> The Joneses wrote:
>>

>>>So the cukes are resting in 1 cup lime & 1 gal water, just covering
>>>the 7 # regular cukes all sliced up nice. The lime seems to gravitate
>>>to the bottom and does not stay in solution. Is this normal? Should I
>>>have mixed it differently? Or just stir it up a couple times?
>>>Edrena, wishin' & hopin'

>> Fooey. I tasted one of the slices after rinsing & soaking 1 hour, then
>> rinsing 3 more times. Tasted awful. Hoping that the spices improve it.
>> Have I wasted my time today? St. George's recipe said to soak 4 hours
>> (changing water every hour). The lime box said just rinse 4 x.
>> Edrena, fuming
>>

> Don't fume, that can be disastrous if the fumes ignite. Limed cukes
> always taste terrible, the spices and actual pickling process will make
> them taste like they should. At least that's always been my experience
> and I've been making the things for over 40 years.
>
> George

Yep, George is right. You won't like them until they're finished. Then
you'll love them. My grandmother and one of my aunts made lime pickles for
decades and they were always delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:
> Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
> will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
> about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
> Remembering that they are there is the problem.

That's why Alex gave us electronic calendars. I'm toast without mine.

> I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
> rhubarb/orange jelly.

Are you making it up or do you have a recipe you're willing to share?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> I also picked up a couple of oranges at the grocery store to make
> rhubarb/orange jelly.

And I see that you've already posted the recipe. Thanks,
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 06:48:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>> Also got some Lodi apples and I think I
>> will make apple butter later this week. The vendor said to forget
>> about them for a few days. Little does he know how easy that is.
>> Remembering that they are there is the problem.

>That's why Alex gave us electronic calendars. I'm toast without mine.

Amen. Mine popped up with an e-mail message and I am thinking I don't
have anything coming up. Pulled up the message and it was a reminder
to pay estimated taxes. I printed out the vouchers when I did the
taxes and made a note on the reminder where they were. Saved me a lot
of grief on that one.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Report so far, 2 weeks post bottling.
Sugar Free Bread & Butter Style Pickling liquid (with Splenda) tastes
pretty good, pH is definitely safely sour tasting, cuke slices pretty
crispy, but the slices still taste skanky for want of a better word. I
can still taste the lime. The ordinary aging for this recipe is 3 weeks,
and I have a feeling they may need a month or more to overcome the lime.
Will test the pH with papers a little later maybe.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> Report so far, 2 weeks post bottling.
> Sugar Free Bread & Butter Style Pickling liquid (with Splenda) tastes
> pretty good, pH is definitely safely sour tasting, cuke slices pretty
> crispy, but the slices still taste skanky for want of a better word. I
> can still taste the lime. The ordinary aging for this recipe is 3 weeks,
> and I have a feeling they may need a month or more to overcome the lime.
> Will test the pH with papers a little later maybe.
> Edrena

The recipe I use for making limed sweet pickles works in such a way that
the cuke slices taste good right out of the pot they were cooked in and
are still crisp. It is very important to do the fresh water rinse
properly, ie drain and refill every hour for four hours. The slices will
still taste skanky at first but the actual pickling process should take
that out of them. I hope you're right about the taste getting better
with age.

pH, never had to worry about it with the sweet pickles since they're put
up in a strong vinegar solution. HTH

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Report so far, 2 weeks post bottling.
> > Sugar Free Bread & Butter Style Pickling liquid (with Splenda) tastes
> > pretty good, pH is definitely safely sour tasting, cuke slices pretty
> > crispy, but the slices still taste skanky for want of a better word. I
> > can still taste the lime. The ordinary aging for this recipe is 3 weeks,
> > and I have a feeling they may need a month or more to overcome the lime.
> > Will test the pH with papers a little later maybe.
> > Edrena
> >

> The recipe I use for making limed sweet pickles works in such a way that
> the cuke slices taste good right out of the pot they were cooked in and
> are still crisp. It is very important to do the fresh water rinse
> properly, ie drain and refill every hour for four hours. The slices will
> still taste skanky at first but the actual pickling process should take
> that out of them. I hope you're right about the taste getting better
> with age.
>
> pH, never had to worry about it with the sweet pickles since they're put
> up in a strong vinegar solution. HTH
>
> George

I think y'all got something there George. IIRC, you pour boiling pickle stuff
over the slices and then redo that later. We'll find out in a couple weeks.
Edrena