Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recommended Carbs?

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 02:24:34a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>

>> Following up to my own post... Thanks to both Nicky and Priscilla for
>> their resplies.
>>
>> I should probably have been more specific in my questions about carbs.
>>
>> I've been a well-managed T2 for several years, taking both glucophage
>> and glyburide. My diabetes is weight related, and I've managed to
>> lose nearly 60 pounds since this past January, putting me at very near
>> normal weight.
>>
>> As a consequence, my doctor took me off glucophage about 2 months ago
>> and, more recently, had me reduce the dosage of glyburide to
>> 2.5MG/day. I am now frequently getting sudden low BG readings in the
>> low 50s and high 40s.
>>
>> I meter at last 4 times a day, more if I feel a BG drop. It may well
>> be that I need to eliminate the glyburide altogether at this point,
>> but short of that I definitely need to take in some carbs when my BG
>> drops.
>>
>> I guess it's time to talk with my doctor again.
>>
>> Thanks again!

> Wayne, I had the same issue when I was first diagnosed. My diabetes is
> not weight related. I manage to somehow maintain a normal weight all of
> the time. If you're going to take in more carbs definitely talk to the
> doctor. As for myself, I would eat more fruit and yogurt.

I've since talked with my doctor again, especially about glyburide vs
glucophage. At the time I was taken off the glucophage, I was also taken
off another medication for triglycerides that had a side effect of
partially supressing the effectiveness of both the glyburide and
glucophage. It took a short while for this to be realized. My doctor
agreed that now I should go back on a low dosage of glucophage and
eliminate all glyburide. He also said I could increase carbs a bit.
That seems to be working, as my fasting and pre-dinner BG readings are
below 90, and I'm not seeing any radical dips or highs.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬