Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read
>> over
>> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
>> the stores.

> I will agree that there are "green" products which don't perform
> significantly better than "regular" products -- just as there are
> cheapo "regular" products which don't come near the performance of
> the best of their kind.
>
> But there are reasons to buy "green" products beyond their actual
> performance (once that performance meets one's own standards) --
> like toxicity (maybe not a concern with dish detergent, but for
> other products); sustainability; the way the company is run; etc.
> That "green" products often seem to cost more than "regular"
> products is an accident of accounting.
>

> As for the OP's question, I have not used any of the brands on the
> linked Web site. I do, however, use Restore the Earth's dish liquid
> (<http://www.restoreproducts.com/dish_detergent.html>) and Seventh
> Generation's dishwasher powder
> (<http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our_products/dishwashing.php>)
> and have been quite happy with them.
>
> From the Web site linked by the OP:
>>If you want to avoid phosphates, choose a phosphate-free detergent,

> but remember to rinse your dirty dishes right away.
>
> Huh? I never have to do that with the Seventh Generation powder and
> my dishwasher (ASKO). Pre-rinsing removes a chunk of the
> environmental benefit to using a "green" detergent, I would think.
>
> sd

For handwashing, I will be using, bought at Wegman's, Dishwashing Liquid -
Ecover Natural
http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ergent/102352/

But as the instructions from the farm are that I have to use an
environmental dishwashing soap, and definitely one without fragrance, I
asked her if there was a brand that she would suggest. She said, no, but I
could find them anyplace like our local groceries, indicating I didn't have
to go to stores such as Whole Foods, Wegmans or Trader Joe's to find this
kind of product. But I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used a brand that
is commonly found in an ordinary grocery store. My local stores are Food
Lion and Martins (Giant). (Hand Washing, not dishwasher washing). The jar
is WAY too tall to wash in the dishwasher.
Thanks again,
Dee Dee