Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jack Sloan Jack Sloan is offline

Default Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel burners?

"Don S" > wrote in message
> I posted this in food.equipment before I discovered this group.
>
> Any comments?
>

> I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> they burn unevenly.
>
> I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
> stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
> ones.
>
> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> the price) to stainless?
>
> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> every 3 years).
>
> Thanks!
> Don S

Stainless steel burners also break down... albeit much more slowly than cast
iron. I live in a very humid place and my ci burners only lasted 2 years
before they started flaking away. I bought a new all stainless grill .
Everything in the grill looks new except the burners . After 3 years they
started burning unevenly. I took the burners out and reamed them out and
they are working fine now.
I would never buy another grill wit ci anything.
Jack