Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Raw Food (uncooked produce!) "Recipes"?

Anne Mitchell Young <shedevil @ aloss.net> replies to my post,

>> You could look over Cafe Gratitude's menu for some ideas.
>> None of their food is cooked. They do, however, in some cases warm
>> their ingredients to (I think) 110 degrees F. This allows for some
>> softening of grains like buckwheat or quinoa.
>> Some legumes can also be uncooked, such as fresh peas.

>Steve, that's a great idea, Thank you! Warming (in the dehydrator) is
>one of the ways that one of my favourite (my only, really) book on the
>subject treats foods to keep their nutrients but also make them seem
>less..er..raw.

>Have you been to Cafe Gratitude? We rarely get up to SF, but I've
>been curious...

No, we haven't been there, but now that there's on in Berkeley
I imagine we won't be able to hold out indefinitely.

Another place I haven't been to that doubtless has a lot
of raw food is Medicine Eat Station. Which reminds me
you might try including agar among your raw food ingredients.
I have had some really good Zen temple style dishes containing
agar. But again, I have no offer of immediate recipes...

Steve