Posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general
Dan Goodman Dan Goodman is offline

Default Anyone been to the Twin Cities Trader Joe's?

Wayne Marsh wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote on 5/19/06 10:06 PM:
>
> > I'm eager to check it out.

> I went Tuesday afternoon. That was too early. There were way more
> people in the store than the store and the employees were equipped to
> handle. Some products, particularly in frozen foods, were sold out
> during the Monday opening rush.
>
> But I was impressed and I'll go back again when the buzz has died
> down a little. They have many unique products, a lot of organic
> products, and their prices are surprisingly low. Almost no nationally
> advertised brands, but you can still get the foods you want: produce,
> breakfast cereals, bread, etc. To me, it was similar to shopping at
> The Wedge co-op, but with lower prices and a better selection of
> frozen foods.
>
> Should you go? If you actually enjoy grocery shopping, as I do, and
> as I suspect Barb does, then you should go to TJ's. If grocery
> shopping is an unpleasant chore, then you'll probably be frustrated
> at not finding familiar brands and products there.

I'm somewhere off that scale. For me, much of the enjoyment in grocery
shopping is looking at things I wouldn't buy. Injera. The section in
which Mexican food from Mexico intermingles with Taco Bell sauces and
with spaghetti from Texas which so far as I can see has nothing Mexican
about it except for part of the label being in Spanish.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.