Old 20-05-2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Default Anyone been to the Twin Cities Trader Joe's?

What does it have that's worth going for?

--

Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

Old 20-05-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article ,
"Dan Goodman" wrote:

What does it have that's worth going for?

I have not, Dan. What does it have? There's been recent talk on rfc
about it. I like their dried fruits -- they have dried CALIFORNIA
apricots, not the Turkish ones. I prefer the Californias for flavor and
have never seen them anywhere else. I like their jarred cioppino sauce,
too. Cheese prices are good.

The Strib had a story about TJ on Monday.

http://www.startribune.com/1229/story/433289.html

I'm eager to check it out.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 5/17/2006, Sam I Am! and Mother's
Old 20-05-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 5/19/06 10:06 PM:

I'm eager to check it out.

I went Tuesday afternoon. That was too early. There were way more people in
the store than the store and the employees were equipped to handle. Some
products, particularly in frozen foods, were sold out during the Monday
opening rush.

But I was impressed and I'll go back again when the buzz has died down a
little. They have many unique products, a lot of organic products, and their
prices are surprisingly low. Almost no nationally advertised brands, but you
can still get the foods you want: produce, breakfast cereals, bread, etc. To
me, it was similar to shopping at The Wedge co-op, but with lower prices and
a better selection of frozen foods.

Should you go? If you actually enjoy grocery shopping, as I do, and as I
suspect Barb does, then you should go to TJ's. If grocery shopping is an
unpleasant chore, then you'll probably be frustrated at not finding familiar
brands and products there.

Wayne Marsh Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Old 20-05-2006, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article ,
Wayne Marsh wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 5/19/06 10:06 PM:

I'm eager to check it out.

(snip)

Should you go? If you actually enjoy grocery shopping, as I do, and as I
suspect Barb does,

Feh! g I enjoyed it more when I knew the layout of the store I leave
most of my money at. Cub built new in one of their 'new' layouts and it
still drives me nuts a year later!

then you should go to TJ's. If grocery shopping is an unpleasant
chore, then you'll probably be frustrated at not finding familiar
brands and products there.

I can't imagine anyone going there expecting to find the same
merchandise as found in Cub.
Old 20-05-2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Dan Goodman wrote on Friday, May 19 :

What does it have that's worth going for?

Try chowhound.com general board. Lots of threads about TJ's best and
worst.
TJ's is good, but it's not perfect. I'm not perfect either, but I'm
close. G

Old 20-05-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Wayne Marsh wrote:

[...]

I'm somewhere off that scale. For me, much of the enjoyment in grocery
shopping is looking at things I wouldn't buy. Injera. The section in
which Mexican food from Mexico intermingles with Taco Bell sauces and
with spaghetti from Texas which so far as I can see has nothing Mexican
about it except for part of the label being in Spanish.

Old 20-05-2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Dan Goodman" wrote in news:446e83a3$0$270
:

What does it have that's worth going for?

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless/MW.pdf
Old 20-05-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article ,
"Dan Goodman" wrote:

What does it have that's worth going for?

Considering that I live 1,500 or so miles from there, nothing. If you're
nearby, check out that Trader Joe's and report back. If the Trader Joe's
you're referring to is like the ones in my area, its going to be a great
store, but only you can determine if it has items that are worthwhile to
you.
Old 20-05-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Dan Goodman wrote on Friday, May 19, 2006:

What does it have that's worth going for?

As a followup, there's a thread on chowhound's general topics
board which started on 5/19 entitled "Trader Joe's DNT List",
"DNT" meaning "do not try". There are numerous such threads,
what do you like, what do you hate, etc. There are occasional
similar threads here.

http://www.chowhound.com

Old 20-05-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Dan Goodman" wrote in news:446e83a3$0$270
:

What does it have that's worth going for?

If you're the kind of person who "Loves My Cub" (or Lund's or co-op or
Whole Foods or whatever) to supply you with cans of mucsroom soup and
boxes of macaroni noodles, you may find Trader Joe's unnecessary in your
life. On the other hand, if you enjoy trying new things inexpensively,
you may be delighted by TJs.

There's no substitute for visiting Trader Joe's for yourself. Maybe
you'll leave without buying anything, maybe you'll find some items to
take home and try. Maybe you'll like some of the items you tried, maybe
not.

Maybe you'll like TJ's, maybe not. Go and find out.

Old 21-05-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

ObNonTJsFood: Popeye's spicy fried chicken right out the fryer is
better than KFC's. That was the first time I've had it, and it's
freaking good.

Popeye's spicy fried chicken sitting out on the counter all night, snacked
on by the cat and eaten for breakfast with a king-hell hangover is better
than KFC cooked by the Kentucky Colonel himself!

I wish there was more than just the one in Minnesota.

Old 21-05-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Howard Beale wrote:
"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

ObNonTJsFood: Popeye's spicy fried chicken right out the fryer is
better than KFC's. That was the first time I've had it, and it's
freaking good.

Popeye's spicy fried chicken sitting out on the counter all night, snacked
on by the cat and eaten for breakfast with a king-hell hangover is better
than KFC cooked by the Kentucky Colonel himself!

I wish there was more than just the one in Minnesota.

Is it still on on Lake Street?

Ted Novak
TRA#5512
IEAS#75
Old 21-05-2006, 05:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article ,
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Howard Beale wrote:
"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

ObNonTJsFood: Popeye's spicy fried chicken right out the fryer is
better than KFC's. That was the first time I've had it, and it's
freaking good.

Popeye's spicy fried chicken sitting out on the counter all night, snacked
on by the cat and eaten for breakfast with a king-hell hangover is better
than KFC cooked by the Kentucky Colonel himself!

I wish there was more than just the one in Minnesota.

Is it still on on Lake Street?

It most certainly is. Tasty sides, too.
Old 21-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Dan Goodman wrote:

What does it have that's worth going for?

I'm waiting for the hype to slow down a bit then I'll head in. I still have a
week and a half off work for recovery and David's friend is coming in from
New Orleans tomorrow so maybe I'll make him drive me over there on a weekday
morning.

I'll report back!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 22-05-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Daniel L. Snyder wrote:
In article ,
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Howard Beale wrote:
"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

ObNonTJsFood: Popeye's spicy fried chicken right out the fryer is
better than KFC's. That was the first time I've had it, and it's
freaking good.

Popeye's spicy fried chicken sitting out on the counter all night, snacked
on by the cat and eaten for breakfast with a king-hell hangover is better
than KFC cooked by the Kentucky Colonel himself!

I wish there was more than just the one in Minnesota.

Is it still on on Lake Street?

It most certainly is. Tasty sides, too.

Kick Butt! I used to go there in the eighties but haven't been back
since. Yup their sides were quite awesome. Better than Churches that's
for sure.

Ted Novak
TRA#5512
IEAS#75

New place for pu-erh in the Twin Cities? Nico Tea 2 24-06-2006 03:26 PM
Raw Puer in the Twin Cities Nico Tea 11 30-08-2005 10:11 PM
Trader Joe's coming to Twin Cities Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 7 25-03-2005 03:35 AM
Twin Cities Sushi Nick Sushi 1 19-07-2004 11:47 PM
Twin Cities rfc cook-ins? Dan Goodman General Cooking 1 16-06-2004 11:41 AM