Posted to rec.food.cooking
Food Snob Food Snob is offline

Default Bisquick Baking Mix Recipe?

Yogi Gupta wrote:
> 1. My recipe uses Ghee. In United States, lard was common. Ghee
> provides nutty flavor. Some people will add one part butter to 4 parts
> lard for flavor in United States. People worried about saturated fats
> use vegetable shortening. Vegetable shortenings used to be bad because
> of trans-fats.

They still are. The overwhelming majority of shortenings and
margarines are still hydrogenated. Note the stupidity about the
subject, even among those who fancy themselves cooks.

> Now you can buy vegetable shortening low in trans-fats,
> they are expensive but used by many restaurants. You can look at soft
> margarines with low trans-fats.

Low trans fats are not good enough. You can get shortenings and
margarines with NO trans fats, typically palm oil, not to be confused
with palm kernel oil.

> 2. Yes! the Bisquick will go rancid and must be stored in a cooler
> about 40 deg F for up to six months. Thats why my recipe makes smaller
> amout that you do on as needed basis.

Palm oil shortening is more stable than nearly every other edible fat.

> 3. Everything is easier with food processor including cutting-in
> shortening.
> Yogi

--Bryan