Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default What failure rate?

Kathi Jones wrote:

> My time and the stuff I put in the jars is worth too much to put it in to
> reused jars and take the chance that the seal would fail

its not a chance, we know a percentage of them will

> or the jar would
> explode

how is bottling in a bwb going to do that? There is no pressure
diffrerential, so explosion is out of the question afaics. Cracking due
to heat shock is the risk., so quick temp changes will be minimised.
I've used food jars for other purposes enough to know theyre fine as
long as one is sensible.

> - or someone would get sick.....;-( It's just one worth the risk -
> to me.

how is this going to occur? Ones that dont seal get frozen, and ones
that do seal either fail later or dont. Either way its easy to tell the
difference, and any with seals that fail later are rejected as unfit.
What scenario are you proposing that would cause a risk to health?

NT