Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default What failure rate?

wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I'm new to bottling, but it might solve one of lifes problems, so I'm
> interested to try it. I really dont want to go out and buy a load of
> the proper jars until I've tried it once to see if it is the solution.
> Yes I've read the FAQ. Hence my probably predictable question: if I use
> jam jars, sauce jars, etc for just the first run, what sort of failure
> rate could I expect? A fair rate of failures to seal could be accepted
> for the one test run.
> Failure to seal is easy to spot on these jars, and I wouldnt let anyone
>
> else have access to the jars, so I dont expect a safety problem.
> Or is this a bad bad move?
> thank you,
>
> NT

Are you planning on using boiling water bath (BWB) processing or pressure
canning? And if you don't like that, these same jars can be used in the
freezer.
What are you planning on canning/jarring? Jams, pickles & hi acid foods? or
peas, beans and roast beef stew, low acid stuff? If the jars don't seal in
an hour or two after processing, just plunk that one in the fridge. High
acid foods could probably be clean off old lid, put on new lid & reboil.
In several years of BWB processing, I've had only about 4 jars not seal
due to not cleaning the rims, lid/jar nick/malfunction or overfilling. When
y'all follow directions, lid failure is pretty rare. Very old lids might be
a fault. Like garage sales or Grandma's basement.
Here in the US, if you keep your eyes open you can find old unchipped
jars at estate sales, yard sales and thrift shops for about 25c each. New
ones are about twice that and up depending on size. And you can generally
get rid of them the same way if you don't like doing it. I expect it's the
same just about everywhere.
Let us know how you go on. Do you grow your own?
Edrena, faithful follower of St. Vinegrette