Posted to alt.food.wine
JR[_1_] JR[_1_] is offline

Default Grenache

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
news:CtX1g.907088$x96.276085@attbi_s72...
> JR wrote:
>> OK...I recall, a few years ago, a "white grenache" in ads...So, the
>> recent
>> "while merlot" posts, along with my recollection of how horrible the
>> "white
>> zinfandel" tastes to me, and the recent "shiraz-grenache" blend
>> discussion
>> makes me wonder...
>>
>> Is Grenache usually a grape used for red wine?

> Yes, it is (arguably) the principal red grape of the Southern Rhone
> Valley in France, most notably in the wines of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. In
> Spain, it's known as "Garnacha" and makes the readily available Sangre
> de Toro marketed by Torres. It's also known as "Cannonau" on Sardinia.
>
> Be aware, though, that in France there's also a white sport of Grenache

OK, so, thanks to ALL of you for the great info...but, now I have to
comment...before this discussion, I had NEVER seen Grenache on a bottle of
wine before (but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough) and b) if the "white
grenache" I saw in the ads (had to be a California BIG wine producer, after
all, it was on a TV commercial, the red variety of grenache grapes, or the
white varitety.

My guess. The red one, without the skins.

jeff