Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thaddeus L Olczyk Thaddeus L Olczyk is offline

Default baking soda vs baking powder

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:40:47 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>I have a cookie recipe that calls for baking soda, can I simply use the
>same amount of baking powder? I know, just go to store and buy a box of
>ArmNHammer. (grin)

Read the label of your baking powder. The first ingredient should be
"Sodium of bicarbonate" ie baking soda. From what I understand
the other ingredients are acids meant to interact with the baking
soda.

Remember those vinegar and baking soda volcanoes you used to make as
a child? Baking soda and acids in foods, cause a similar reaction
which is why the baking soda causes foods to rise. The difference
between soda and powder is that powder contains it's own acids.

Plus I think the powder is ground finer, I think.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.