Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default Stopping fermentation

I get about a quart if I tighten it up well before I start. Before I
filter it's clear from either time or bentonite. I run that though the
filter last, even though accourding to Buon Vino , it's filtered.

I soak the filters in sulfite/citric acid for several minutes first,
than run that solution through the filter for a few minutes, just
recycling it. Then a quick rinse with plain water.

I throw out maybe a pint or so of the initial wine colored output
before keeping it. I can actually hear the pump change pitch as the
filter loads up. To be honest, I think I have a dud pump and always
have; I can get it to work so never worried about replacing it.