Posted to rec.food.cooking
CHI-MUM CHI-MUM is offline

Default fish cake recipe request

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>> I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include
>> more
>> fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe that's low
>> in fat and calories that I should consider?

> Fish cakes usually start with cooked fish and add things like mashed
> potatoes, eggs and breadcrumbs. More often than not, they are then
> fried, sometimes with a batter coating. So they're going to be higher
> in fat and calories than the original fish, as a general rule. Is that
> okay? -aem

This is our favorite.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Helen's Salmon Fish Cakes

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Main, Fish

-= Ingredients =-
1 Egg ; lightly beaten
1 cup Day-old seasoned mashed
Potatoes
-1 3/4 ounce Salmon ; drained and flaked
1 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
1 d Hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Very finely chopped onions
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Dried bread crumbs
-COATING-
1 Egg ; beaten
1/2 cup Bread crumbs

-= Instructions =-
Combine one beaten egg with the potatoes, salmon, lemon juice, onions,
salt, black pepper, hot sauce and paprika in a mixing bowl. Mix gently
so as not to mash the salmon. Add about one-fourth cup of the bread
crumbs to the mixture and again mix gently. The mixture should be able
to hold together so that you can form the mixture into balls or patties.
Form the mixture into two-inch patties using metal icecream scoop as
measure. Dip the balls in the remaining beaten egg, and then dredge
them in the remaining one-half cup of bread crumbs. Chill the
croquettes in the rerfrigerator for at least one hour. Heat some oil in
a deep frying pan. fry fishcakes for about five minutes, or until they
are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes six fishcakes.
May be kept warm in oven. Excellent! Recipe by H Peagram Note:
tried recipe using crab on 10/09/01 and I didn't like the results.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1744mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM