Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default Stopping fermentation

I follow you, I'm in Amarillo now so can't speak to what I use as the
minimum level but should be home tomorrow.

I have bypass problems on my mini-jet too, I really tighten mine up at
first. What I do is run the nut in until it just applies a little
pressure, bring the other up to that point and then count turns keeping
them the same. I take it as tight as you can get by hand. That
usually does 7 gallons with minimal bypass, after that it's iffy. I
run the bypass line into a separate gallon and suck it back out if It
starts to get out of hand. I have only done whites with the 'sterile'
filter, all I remember is it's green printing. The middle one is red,
I have a coarse one that is blue but have never used it.

I would chance it myself; if it restarts you can always put it back in
carboys and let it finish. I don't know any cheap way to measure
sorbic acid content either so follow your dilemma. It sounds still, a
mini-jet should have stirred things up. It's at room temperature now
so what about warming one of those bottles up to around 100 F with a
heating pad or a low wattage incandescent bulb? If it doesn't go at
that point I think you are OK.

Joe