Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Stopping fermentation

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> Why not go through the No 1 pads (the green ones) and sorbate at the
> minimum level? I can't guarantee it's going to work but it's what I
> would do. You could just rack and take one bottle off and warm it.
> Racking and warmth always seem to get things going if they are going
> to. You could use that as a guide for your decisions.
>
> Joe

Thanks, Joe, that's basically what I'm trying to do. I think the finest
pads are #3 and not #1 - not sure about the colour - I'm assuming those
are the ones you meant? I used them only once before on a white and
although it looked very clear, I had a huge amount of bypass and had to
run it through the filter 3-4 times to avoid losing too much wine. I
also picked up some metallic taste from the bypass wine - I think it's
running over the screws somewhere in the filter, so taken together,
I've decided not to use the fine pads on MiniJet. It might be somehing
about my filtering technique but as far as I can tell, I'm doing things
correctly per instructions.

The particular difficulty in this case is that having used the sorbate
before it should be used, I don't know what it the minimal level - that
was the gist of my question. If all sorbate I had added is still
active, I am at the minimum level already; if it's partially or
completely gone, I need to add up to the same amount I already added.
And since I can't measure it, I might end up with the sorbate
taste/smell that I hate.

The wine has been sitting in carboys and some bottles for 3 weeks now
in my living room after the filtering and I'mnot detecting any signes
of activity, so I think I'll risk it. Next time though I'll wait with
the sorbate after the wine clears up.

Pp