Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_1_] Joseph Littleshoes[_1_] is offline

Default fish cake recipe request

Yogi Gupta wrote:

> Stan!
> Let me know after you really make the recipe, if you liked it or it
> needed something else. I always like to put potatoes instead of
> breadcrumbs as a binder. I use breadcrumbs only on the outside to give
> it a crunch.
> Yogi

Well how nice, i have been advocating potatoes for a binder for a long
time and it seemed i was the only one doing so. I have recently started
using a bit of mushroom flavoured soy sauce in my fish cake mix.

It should be mentioned the potatoes should be just barely done, and have
no milk or butter added, they can even be dried in a pot on top of the
stove to remove a bit more moisture. A bit of salt & pepper in the
potatoes is acceptable but can just as easily be added to the mix as a
whole.

Finely minced green onions or shallots, crushed garlic, worsteshire
sauce, oregano, capers, finely minced or pureed celery or celery seed,
mustard, tarragon, lemon zest are good ingredients for fish cakes.

A 'ricer' is a good tool as it allows for a bit more evaporation of
moisture than simply mashing the potatoes.

Serve with a tartar sauce or an aioli, or pesto or even a nice tomato sauce.
---
JL