Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default What to do with London Broil?

"Jimmy" > wrote in
ups.com:

> London Broil is flank steak. If you get outside round or some such
> truck and they label it as london broil then like don't prepare it as
> you would a flank steak. London broil is flank steak 'broiled' to
> about a medium rare; when serving slice across the grain in order to
> have it as tender as possible.

Jimmy,

I "think" we're in agreement here! The london broil that IS flank steak
being a thin and sinewy cut of meat requires extra prep and care to cook
to the right doneness, while the "labeled" london broil top round being
anywhere from 1" to 2" thick give you far more steak for the money and
serves more dinner guests. Around these parts (Pennsylvania) anyway.

In my youth flank steak was considered a cheap cut of meat. Not anymore!
As a kid, I recall cutting my slices of flank steak into smaller bits and
stirring them into the mashed potatoes, so I got steak and potatoes in
every bite.

Imagine that, a five-year-old efficiency expert?

All the best,

Andy