Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dusty Bleher Dusty Bleher is offline

Default Mixer Recommendation

G'day all;

What Mike sez!

For years I lusted after a mixer. Kept reading here and other places that "the real bakers" all had 'em and used 'em. Then I got one. Then I discovered "stretch & fold" and "flatten & fold". Now my poor neglected mixer gathers dust waiting for me to make whipped cream or something...(:-o)!

L8r all,
Dusty

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message news:mailman.0.1143932505.92866.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
The second suggestion is, don't knead. It really isn't necessary. Instead of kneading, use a stretch and fold technique. Mix your dough just enough that the flour is hydrated (wet) and there are no puddles of unincorporated water. It's OK if the dough is ugly and under-mixed. Really. It's OK if your starter isn't mixed into the dough completely - even if it is still a mass of gross strands through your dough. Once the flour is all wet, transfer the dough to a bowl (if you didn't mix it in a bowl), cover it, and let it sit for about 45 minutes.