Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Stopping fermentation

Lum Eisenman wrote:

> Potassium sorbate prevents yeast cells from budding (reproducing).
> Consequently, sorbate is only effective when the yeast population is small.
> Chill your wine, stop fermentation and let the yeast settle. Then rack the
> wine off of the yeast lees to reduce the yeast population. You may need to
> repeat this operation a couple of times to get your wine clean enough for
> sorbate to be effective.
> Good luck,
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

I went through this this year but couldn't get the temperature cold
enough to stop the ferment completely, so I've also added the sorbate
to create worse conditions for the yeast. I then fined within next 2
months with bentonite and Sparkalloid and finally filtered with the #2
Mini Jet filter.

My question is - is the sorbate I added early in the process still
fully active? The wine is clear and there doesn't seem to be any
activity, and I'm trying to keep the sorbate additions to minimum as I
am sensitive to its smell, so I'm hoping the answer is yes.

Thx,

Pp