Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Smell of pork? Is it just me???

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> >Over the past year or so, I've returned 2 pork shoulder roasts to the
> >store. I've put them in the 'frige for cooking within 48 hours and they
> >stank when I opened them, and the 'frige temp out back is monitored
> >closely at 38 to 40 degrees F...... so I took them back as rotted meat
> >and got a refund.
> >
> >I took a frozen pork shoulder out of the freezer yesterday and put it in
> >the 'frige to thaw. Took it out a couple of hours ago, it was still
> >slightly crispy with ice crystals. No way in hell can it be spoiled.
> >
> >It stinks. Smells sulfury to me.
> >
> >Is it just me? Is this, like, a normal smell for pork shoulder??????
> >
> >It's in the dutch oven right now with a layer of carrots on the bottom
> >and LOTS of onions, a largish bulb of grated fresh ginger root, an
> >entire head of garlic and a generous sprinkling of lemon pepper. Intent
> >is to braise it for 2 hours and it's been in now for about 1 hour.
> >
> >It smells divine.
> >
> >I'm wondering if I'm just overly sensitive to certain odors????????
> >
> >No other cuts of pork have done this to me. Pork chops and steaks are
> >good for 48 hours in the 'frige at 40 degrees F. Trotters have never
> >smelled bad, I thaw them just enough so they joints are soft and I can
> >stuff them into the pressure cooker with water and aromatics to make the
> >stock from hell (pics to follow later when I finish shrinking and
> >re-naming the files).
> >
> >Opinions??????
> >

> Probably the pig was a male.
>
> My butcher only gets female pig meat. I am serious, male meat has that
> "****y" smell because of the male hormones.
>
> Christine

All commercial (male) pigs here are castrated so hormones should not be
an issue, but thanks for the idea. :-) When I go feral pig hunting one
of these days, I'll be sure to shoot only sows.
--
Peace, Om.