Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Smell of pork? Is it just me???

Over the past year or so, I've returned 2 pork shoulder roasts to the
store. I've put them in the 'frige for cooking within 48 hours and they
stank when I opened them, and the 'frige temp out back is monitored
closely at 38 to 40 degrees F...... so I took them back as rotted meat
and got a refund.

I took a frozen pork shoulder out of the freezer yesterday and put it in
the 'frige to thaw. Took it out a couple of hours ago, it was still
slightly crispy with ice crystals. No way in hell can it be spoiled.

It stinks. Smells sulfury to me.

Is it just me? Is this, like, a normal smell for pork shoulder??????

It's in the dutch oven right now with a layer of carrots on the bottom
and LOTS of onions, a largish bulb of grated fresh ginger root, an
entire head of garlic and a generous sprinkling of lemon pepper. Intent
is to braise it for 2 hours and it's been in now for about 1 hour.

It smells divine.

I'm wondering if I'm just overly sensitive to certain odors????????

No other cuts of pork have done this to me. Pork chops and steaks are
good for 48 hours in the 'frige at 40 degrees F. Trotters have never
smelled bad, I thaw them just enough so they joints are soft and I can
stuff them into the pressure cooker with water and aromatics to make the
stock from hell (pics to follow later when I finish shrinking and
re-naming the files).

Opinions??????
--
Peace, Om.