H. W. Hans Kuntze

Default Non-fat dry-milk...purpose?

Deepak Saxena wrote:

>In article >,
>H. W. Hans Kuntze > wrote:
> =20
>
>>Deepak Saxena wrote:
>>
>> =20
>>
>>>What is the purpose of non-fat dry milk in whole wheat loaves?
>>>
>>> =20
>>>

>>Does not go rancid in storage and is easier to handle than milk
>> =20
>>

>Tnx; however, let me rephrase my question. What chemical purpose does
>it (or milk) serve in the dough? The whole wheat breads I buy at
>the store just have ww flour, honey, yeast, water, salt but most
>of the recipes I've found include dried milk. Why?

Commercial breads are usually produced as cheaply as possible.

Milk powder adds proteins, makes for better crust color, increases=20
keeping quality, nutrition, better texture of the crumb.

A commercial bakery/bread factory will try to achieve that as cheaply as =

possible, by selecting flours and through the addition of chemicals,=20
enzymes, etc.

Just add the milk powder.

If they add honey, then only in minute amounts, it adds marketing appeal.=

Personally I think molasses is better, but has no marketing appeal.

If you don't want to use milk powder, just leave it out and see if you=20
like the product as well.
If not, put it in again the next time. No big deal.

Personally, I like a whole wheat bread with it better than without,=20
makes better toast, better texture.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"