Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default New Pots & Pans

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
> top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
> couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
> used a lot and had to be replaced.
>
> I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
> around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
> my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
> over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
> it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
> over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
> balked.
>
> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
> year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
> older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
> part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&browse= &s=1
>
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.
>
> Boron

Hello, Boron. I just read your post and all the answers. I bought this set
in July of last year. I've never put any of them in the dishwasher. I've
never had a set of stainless pans that I've liked so well. Before I bought
these, maybe 2 years previous, I bought a set of Kirkland "professional
pans - non-stick - the black ones -- made in Hong Kong -- I believe they
were $149 or $199. After using them a couple of years I decided I'd like
some stainless steel for higher temperature cooking, and when I saw these at
Costco I fell in love with them. They are absolutely wonderful.

However, since someone was saying about Costco's return policy and it has
always been perfect for me -- I am wondering about one of these pans, if it
is a defect. Well -- I will say it IS a defect. I noticed in the last few
months a dotted line (perhaps 4-6" now ?) around the middle of the smallest
pan. This line is not raised, it is more (I don't know if this is the
correct word to describe an indentation) 'bas relief' however minor. When
I just now took another look at it, and reading your posting that you have
new pans, and before your 30 days is up, I thought I'd let you know.

I'm not quite sure what to say to Costco. I don't know whether they would
tell me to contact the seller (isn't that Kirkland?) or they would replace
this one, or the whole set -- I have no idea -- but it is of concern to me
as I have a whole set of these pans that now I'm wondering, is all the
covering going to drop off -- a bit of hyperbole. I don't know if this
would show up in a photo, it might be hard to get a photo without flash --
and I'd have to work on the macro/micro (whatever setting that is on my
camera for closeups) to make sure it shows up. But I'd be willing to try if
you want to see it.

This isn't much help for you being so elated with your new pans -- I love
mine so much, too. Everythings cooks so fast, fast in them; no dripping
because of the tops (Wayne told me that). I fried chicken on top of the
stove (Cooks Illustrated suggestions) 5 min on one side, 3 on another and
then into the oven for 18 minutes at 450. Now this is a pan!

I was at Costco earlier tonight and I walked by the pans and I was so glad I
had bought them. But I'm glad I didn't put mine in the dishwasher because
of this problem; at least I know that I didn't cause it.
Dee Dee