Posted to alt.food.wine
Santiago[_1_] Santiago[_1_] is offline

Default Question re cooking & sugar levels.

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

>> b) Caramelisation - possible

> Would there be a change in the sugar content, unless you go too far
> and burn it? True when you make caramel those sugar vapours really get
> up your nose, but is the volume lost significant?

A few years ago, I wanted to do a Pedro Ximenez sauce and tried to do it by
using a saucepan and heating it. I did it slowly and all things were great
until it started to boil. I got a thick caramel and ruined the teflon
coated saucepan (and it was not an el-cheapo saucepan).

With time, I have learnt to do it even more slowly and not allowing it to
boil. The water evaporates and the PX thickens. It does not taste like
burnt rubber and I can re-utilize the saucepan. It goes great both with
desserts and meats.

S.