Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] muffy@smoothmove.com is offline

Default Bran Muffins

: I have a question about bran, and increasing the content of bran in
: bran muffins. Here's where I'm starting:

: Eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk, bran flakes, kelloggs all-bran,
: all-purpose flour, etc.

: Here's the deal. If I sub out whole wheat flour for the all-purpose
: flour, I get can increase the per-muffin fiber content from 2g to 5g.
: I can probably compensate for the addition of the germ and the bran (I
: think those are the two components) to the mixture by adding double
: acting baking powder at 1tsp per cup. It should release enough CO2
: later in the bake to make a fluffy muffin (instead of a rock).

: Problem is... 5g isn't enough. I think, with the addition of
: pulverized All-Bran, used in place of some of the whole wheat flour, I
: could raise the total dietary fiber content per muffin to between 7g
: and 10g.

: I plan on a test batch of a dozen. The control recipe is the Kalamazoo
: area Brook Lodge recipe of:

: 2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
: 2 c water, boiling
: 2? c sugar (I use brown sugar)
: 1 c Mazola oil
: 5 c flour, sifted
: 1? tsp salt
: 5 tsp soda
: 4 eggs
: 4 c Kellogg's All Bran
: 1 qt buttermilk

Quit using expensive cereal and go to a health-food store (Wild Oats, etc.)
and get some bulk wheat and oat bran. Use that instead. Also cut back on
the flour - you don't need that much. Add more bran in place of the flour.