Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Bran Muffins

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't lurked in this group in many years, but I hope it's still
> about cooking.
>
> I have a question about bran, and increasing the content of bran in
> bran muffins. Here's where I'm starting:
>
> Eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk, bran flakes, kelloggs all-bran,
> all-purpose flour, etc.
>
> Here's the deal. If I sub out whole wheat flour for the all-purpose
> flour, I get can increase the per-muffin fiber content from 2g to 5g.
> I can probably compensate for the addition of the germ and the bran (I
> think those are the two components) to the mixture by adding double
> acting baking powder at 1tsp per cup. It should release enough CO2
> later in the bake to make a fluffy muffin (instead of a rock).

Try this recipe, using bulk wheat bran from a health food store instead
of bran breakfast cereal:

Refrigerator Muffins
(from a recipe card that came tucked in a utility bill 17 years ago)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

--
Best regards,
Bob