Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] tarkaan@gmail.com is offline

Default Bran Muffins

Hello,

I haven't lurked in this group in many years, but I hope it's still
about cooking.

I have a question about bran, and increasing the content of bran in
bran muffins. Here's where I'm starting:

Eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk, bran flakes, kelloggs all-bran,
all-purpose flour, etc.

Here's the deal. If I sub out whole wheat flour for the all-purpose
flour, I get can increase the per-muffin fiber content from 2g to 5g.
I can probably compensate for the addition of the germ and the bran (I
think those are the two components) to the mixture by adding double
acting baking powder at 1tsp per cup. It should release enough CO2
later in the bake to make a fluffy muffin (instead of a rock).

Problem is... 5g isn't enough. I think, with the addition of
pulverized All-Bran, used in place of some of the whole wheat flour, I
could raise the total dietary fiber content per muffin to between 7g
and 10g.

I plan on a test batch of a dozen. The control recipe is the Kalamazoo
area Brook Lodge recipe of:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c flour, sifted
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

The test batches would go something like this:

Bed 1:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c Pulverized Kellogg's All-Bran
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Bed 2:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
2.5 c Pulverized Kellogg's All-Bran
2.5 c Whole wheat flour
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Bed 3:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c Whole wheat flour
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Group wisdom needed here... What do you think? I think All-Bran
All-Bran muffins would be some truly good eats. What do you think?