Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Japanese pancakes with dancing fish flakes.

jake wrote:
> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
> made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
> flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
> as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
> bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
> thinly. Much thinner than paper.

The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
sliced.

There used to be a place near my office that served okonomiyaki. It
was pretty popular for lunch, but I guess didn't do enough evening
business, as it closed eventually. -aem