Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Japanese pancakes with dancing fish flakes.

Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
thinly. Much thinner than paper.

The pancake took around 20 minutes to cook. It was done on a low heat,
so that the batter outside wouldn't overcook while the filling was
cooking (cabbage, cheese, pickled ginger, mushrooms, fresh chilies,
green onions, in my case). It was cooked on both sides and then a layer
of a thick brown sauce and mayo were added. Apparently, what make s
Japanese pancakes special is the mountain potatoes in the batter. The
cook said there is no substitute, so they fly them in especially for
these pancakes.

I found a video of dancing fish flakes he
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=fish+flakes

The pancake tasted wonderful. It stayed hot an a heated metal plate, it
was soft soft soft and very filling. next time I'll get a seafood version.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

jake wrote:
> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
> made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
> flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
> as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
> bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
> thinly. Much thinner than paper.

The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
sliced.

There used to be a place near my office that served okonomiyaki. It
was pretty popular for lunch, but I guess didn't do enough evening
business, as it closed eventually. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> jake wrote:
>> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
>> made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
>> flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
>> as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
>> bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
>> thinly. Much thinner than paper.

> The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
> ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
> flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
> dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
> sliced.
>
> There used to be a place near my office that served okonomiyaki. It
> was pretty popular for lunch, but I guess didn't do enough evening
> business, as it closed eventually. -aem

The bonito flakes are made from dried fillet. The fillets are salted and
dried raw and eventually reach the texture of wood. Then they are shaved
thin. They are also an essential ingredient in dashi, the Japanese broth
that is used for miso soup and many other things.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in
oups.com:

> jake wrote:
>> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The
>> were made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I
>> The flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about
>> easily as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were
>> made from bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced
>> very, very, thinly. Much thinner than paper.

> The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
> ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
> flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
> dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
> sliced.
>
> There used to be a place near my office that served okonomiyaki. It
> was pretty popular for lunch, but I guess didn't do enough evening
> business, as it closed eventually. -aem

That sounds new and tasty! Probably centuries old?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> jake wrote:
> > Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
> > made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
> > flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
> > as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
> > bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
> > thinly. Much thinner than paper.

> The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
> ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
> flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
> dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
> sliced.

A good Japanese shop will have a block of dried bonito and the shaver to
make the flakes with. Obviously easier just to buy the flakes in a
packet. Our cats love the fish flakes as a bedtime treat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:
> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
> made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
> flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
> as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
> bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
> thinly. Much thinner than paper.
>
> The pancake took around 20 minutes to cook. It was done on a low heat,
> so that the batter outside wouldn't overcook while the filling was
> cooking (cabbage, cheese, pickled ginger, mushrooms, fresh chilies,
> green onions, in my case). It was cooked on both sides and then a layer
> of a thick brown sauce and mayo were added. Apparently, what make s
> Japanese pancakes special is the mountain potatoes in the batter. The
> cook said there is no substitute, so they fly them in especially for
> these pancakes.
>
> I found a video of dancing fish flakes he
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=fish+flakes
>
> The pancake tasted wonderful. It stayed hot an a heated metal plate, it
> was soft soft soft and very filling. next time I'll get a seafood version.

Thats a really common Japanese "convenience" food. It is called
okonomiyaki. It is easy to make. The fish you described comes already
prepared as you saw it or you can buy a block and shave it. You can buy
it at any Japanese market. In Japan there are restaurants that have
griddles on each table and you order what you want and they bring the
raw ingredients over and you cook it yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> The pancake is called okonomiyaki. Delicious. Many combinations of
> ingredients possible. My favorite included some shrimp. The bonito
> flakes are dried. I always assumed that the bonito was cooked and
> dried, after which it would flake easily. Didn't know it had to be
> sliced.

Well, maybe my description was wrong. The cook was working, of course,
so I didn't press him dor more info. Didn't mean to distract him. I did
really like the pancake.

> There used to be a place near my office that served okonomiyaki. It
> was pretty popular for lunch, but I guess didn't do enough evening
> business, as it closed eventually. -aem

Wow, here these pancakes are new. Apparantly, this s the first
restaurant of this kind on the European continent (it's in Amsterdam). I
had never heard of them before. I like it that they are availble in
ohter Western countires. I see potential for more of these restaurants
here, then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in message

> The bonito flakes are made from dried fillet. The fillets are salted and
> dried raw and eventually reach the texture of wood. Then they are shaved
> thin. They are also an essential ingredient in dashi, the Japanese broth
> that is used for miso soup and many other things.

I ahve dashi at home, but since it's a powder, I didn't recognize it as
the same flavour. But then I've never used it ohter than in broths are
added to rice while it's cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Thats a really common Japanese "convenience" food. It is called
> okonomiyaki. It is easy to make. The fish you described comes already
> prepared as you saw it or you can buy a block and shave it. You can buy
> it at any Japanese market.

If a Japanese market ever opens up here, I'll be there on its first day
to see what interesting foods they have there.

In Japan there are restaurants that have
> griddles on each table and you order what you want and they bring the
> raw ingredients over and you cook it yourself.

Tha sounds like a lot of fun. I think I'd be impatient and fiddle with
my pancake while it's cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:45:11 -0500, George >
wrote:

>jake wrote:
>> Today, I finally had the opportunity to eat Japanese pancakes. The were
>> made on a teppan yaki plate and were served with flying fish. I The
>> flakes looked beautiful - see through, wafery, and moving about easily
>> as if there was a breeze. i asked what they we they were made from
>> bonito, which was cooked in a wok and then SOMEHOW sliced very, very,
>> thinly. Much thinner than paper.
>>
>> The pancake took around 20 minutes to cook. It was done on a low heat,
>> so that the batter outside wouldn't overcook while the filling was
>> cooking (cabbage, cheese, pickled ginger, mushrooms, fresh chilies,
>> green onions, in my case). It was cooked on both sides and then a layer
>> of a thick brown sauce and mayo were added. Apparently, what make s
>> Japanese pancakes special is the mountain potatoes in the batter. The
>> cook said there is no substitute, so they fly them in especially for
>> these pancakes.
>>
>> I found a video of dancing fish flakes he
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=fish+flakes
>>
>> The pancake tasted wonderful. It stayed hot an a heated metal plate, it
>> was soft soft soft and very filling. next time I'll get a seafood version.

>Thats a really common Japanese "convenience" food. It is called
>okonomiyaki. It is easy to make. The fish you described comes already
>prepared as you saw it or you can buy a block and shave it. You can buy
>it at any Japanese market. In Japan there are restaurants that have
>griddles on each table and you order what you want and they bring the
>raw ingredients over and you cook it yourself.

They look like giant bonito flakes.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

..

>>>I found a video of dancing fish flakes he
>>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=fish+flakes
>>>

> They look like giant bonito flakes.
>
> Boron

That's what they are