Dimitri

Default Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

"TheCatinTX" > wrote in message
> I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)

from
> Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the

package
> says: "uncured".
>
> Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there

something I
> could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same

as
> putting it in brine for a day or so?
>
> If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance. CatinTX

See below:

Dimitri

corned beef
Beef (usually BRISKET, but also ROUND) CURED in a seasoned BRINE. Sometimes
the brine is pumped through the arterial system. The term "corned" beef
comes from the English use of the word "corn," meaning any small particle
(such as a grain of salt). Two types of corned beef are available, depending
on the butcher and the region. Old-fashioned corned beef is grayish-pink in
color and very salty; the newer style has less salt and is a bright rosy
red. Much corned beef is now being made without nitrites, which are reputed
to be carcinogenic.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.