Old 15-03-2004, 11:44 PM
TheCatinTX

Default Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef) from
Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the package
says: "uncured".

Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I
could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
putting it in brine for a day or so?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

Old 15-03-2004, 11:47 PM
zxcvbob

TheCatinTX wrote:
I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef) from
Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the package
says: "uncured".

Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I
could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
putting it in brine for a day or so?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

What brand is it, and what *exactly* does it say on the label? I don't
think it's possible to have uncured corned beef, but it might be cured with
just salt, spices, and sugar, with no sodium nitrite or nitrate.

Are you sure it doesn't say "uncooked"?

Bob

Old 15-03-2004, 11:53 PM
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

TheCatinTX wrote:

I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned
beef) from Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't
notice the package says: "uncured". Does that mean it's not going to
tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I could do to it before I
cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as putting it in
brine for a day or so? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

What brand is it, and what *exactly* does it say on the label? I don't
think it's possible to have uncured corned beef, but it might be cured
with just salt, spices, and sugar, with no sodium nitrite or nitrate.

Are you sure it doesn't say "uncooked"?

Bob

Is this it? http://yorkshirefarms.com/labels/label_ckcornbeef.htm

-Bob

Old 16-03-2004, 12:04 AM
PENMART01

(TheCatinTX) says:

I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)
from
Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the
package
says: "uncured".

Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something
could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
putting it in brine for a day or so?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

If beef is corned it's cured.... could be cured with just salt (NACL) and no
Nitrites, but it's still cured. But you say yours is red, so it is corned with
nitrites.

What brand is it... check for a Website, perhaps the company will offer an
explanation.

Then again it's Texas, maybe you misread the label and it actually says "beef
brisket (not cured)"... I don't think corned beef brisket exists in Texas, only
uncured brisket for Qing.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 16-03-2004, 12:07 AM
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

(TheCatinTX) says:

I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)
from
Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the
package
says: "uncured".

Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something
could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
putting it in brine for a day or so?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

If beef is corned it's cured.... could be cured with just salt (NACL) and no
Nitrites, but it's still cured. But you say yours is red, so it is corned with
nitrites.

I found a brand that is cured without nitrites, and it's red because they
add... beet powder! (I posted a link in my other message)

Seriously,
Bob

Old 16-03-2004, 01:35 AM
hahabogus

zxcvbob wrote in
:

I found a brand that is cured without nitrites, and it's red because
they add... beet powder! (I posted a link in my other message)

Seriously,
Bob

Send some to barb! She likes beets!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Old 16-03-2004, 02:59 AM
TheCatinTX

It says "uncured."

http://yorkshirefarms.com/labels/label_ckcornbeef.htm

That is not the same brand, but the same ingredients. I guess I'll just go
ahead and cook it and see what I get -- beet powder and all.

Happy Uncured St. Patrick's Day!

Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 09:56 AM
corned beef sf[_9_] General Cooking 14 20-04-2015 01:33 AM
Corned Beef JimnGin Barbecue 17 05-09-2006 02:03 AM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
My first corned beef Ginny Sher General Cooking 6 29-04-2005 02:57 PM