Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Ben Sunshine-Hill

Default Thanks for everything, Carl, but...

So for the last few months I've been making sourdough with Carl's
starter. It is, as far as I can tell, an exceedingly well-behaved
starter... the only trouble is, the bread I've been churning out is a
little boring. Frankly, there's barely any taste difference between it
and regular white bread. Tasty white bread, sure, but the sourness is
just not there. I've messed with salt percentage, changed my flour, and
screwed with the different times, all to little avail. Vigorous and
foolproof as the Carl's has been, I think I might need a new starter
culture.

I looked around a couple of stores and found Kazhakistani and Lesothan
starter cultures and suchlike, and am absolutely befuddled by the
variety available. So I'll throw it out to y'all-- what moderately sour
and interesting-tasting cultures would you recommend, and where would
you suggest getting them?

Ben